General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Admit It - Can't Take Long Rides

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
MikeK02048
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Admit It - Can't Take Long Rides

I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't really like rides that last more than about an hour. Maybe it's the bike (Fatboy Lo), or maybe it's my 56 year old a$$, but after about an hour my butt starts to get numb, or my back starts to hurt. So while you guys are riding 600 miles in one day, I've got a range of about 60-80 miles. Kinda limits where we go, but there's lots of good destinations within 80 miles of our house.

I do love riding, and do it every chance I get. But it's never very far or very long.

Anyone else feel this way?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Highway Guy
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. I can ride all day sometimes and not have enough

Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Look into a back rest for yourself.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's always good to know your limits and not push it. I ride a Fatboy and am 64 years old, but love long rides. Planning Sturgis again for next year for the 75th.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Get a better seat and a back rest.

I'm on the doorstep of 60 and ride long days for weeklong trips.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

No, not me, I love long trips. I'm 60yo and have a '12 Fat Boy Lo. The backrest was huge improvement for my lower back, as was the mini apes to get my arms and shoulders in the right place. I had my stock seat re-worked by Mean City Cycles so it's very comfy. Highway pegs for foot position options and it's like sitting in a rocking chair!

About 350-400 is a nice day, 600 is about my limit. I do have arthritis in one hip but as long as I don't do anything really stupid it's OK.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My honda shadow was good for about 100 miles. Traded it in on the electraglide now I can go 100s of miles .

Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM
ki7hy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeRides
No, not me, I love long trips. I'm 60yo and have a '12 Fat Boy Lo. The backrest was huge improvement for my lower back, as was the mini apes to get my arms and shoulders in the right place. I had my stock seat re-worked by Mean City Cycles so it's very comfy. Highway pegs for foot position options and it's like sitting in a rocking chair!

About 350-400 is a nice day, 600 is about my limit. I do have arthritis in one hip but as long as I don't do anything really stupid it's OK.

Get yourself setup correctly. If you can sit on your *** in front of a TV for hours then you could do it on a bike if you get a comfy seat/handlebar position.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Some of us old farts just have to many medical issues to be able to ride as much as we like.
I've had serious back problems for over 35 yrs, but feel lucky that I can ride at all!
I'm about the same, an hour or 2 max, and I'm at my limit due to the pain.
I've done everything possible to make my bike as comfortable as possible, so it's not always as easy, as "add a backrest" or setup your bike to better fit you.
It's not always the amount of riding you do, but the fact that you enjoy what riding you can do!
When I can't lift my leg over anymore, I'll be done, but until that time comes, I'm enjoying whatever
amount of riding that I can.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM
ki7hy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Some of us old farts just have to many medical issues to be able to ride as much as we like.
I've had serious back problems for over 35 yrs, but feel lucky that I can ride at all!
I'm about the same, an hour or 2 max, and I'm at my limit due to the pain.
I've done everything possible to make my bike as comfortable as possible, so it's not always as easy, as "add a backrest" or setup your bike to better fit you.
It's not always the amount of riding you do, but the fact that you enjoy what riding you can do!
When I can't lift my leg over anymore, I'll be done, but until that time comes, I'm enjoying whatever
amount of riding that I can.
I wasn't inferring that all of you old guys need to buck up and setup the bike better, etc. I was simply trying to help the OP. With a post like this you would think he was looking for answers but maybe not.

Seriously hope I'm riding in my 60's for sure. Kudo's to all of you seniors.

Quick Reply: I Admit It - Can't Take Long Rides