Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Bushtec Trailer Wiring - Best Practice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM
bishopatdaclub
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushtec Trailer Wiring - Best Practice

Curious about something - heading from Boston to Phoenix in 2 weeks on my 14 Ultra. I've installed a Bushtec Hitch for my trailer (beautiful product, shitty installation instructions lol). Anyway ...

So tonight I am going to install the wiring. I had them send me the wiring kits for use with a 5 wire trailer (the canbus compliant setup). Pretty simple thing but I am wondering how people routed the plug to the ball. Did you fish it through the hole in the rear fender that the factory wiring passes through, or did you just route it down between the rear saddlebag support strut and secure it with a zip tie?

I am going to be covering around 10k in the next 5 months, and have no intention of taking the hitch off when I return, so I am looking for a clean install (or at least one that will look clean and minimize damage to the exposed plug out back when not connected up.

Any help is certainly appreciated

Mombo

Old 12-21-2015, 09:23 AM
bishopatdaclub
Novice

Feel free to close this one - I ended up running the harness down the back of the frame and zip tied it the lower saddlebag support strut - not the prettiest setup, but then again, neither is a trailer hitch. I was hoping for some ideas to come up with a more creative install, but this will work.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,891 Likes on 18,608 Posts

Originally Posted by bishopatdaclub
Feel free to close this one - I ended up running the harness down the back of the frame and zip tied it the lower saddlebag support strut - not the prettiest setup, but then again, neither is a trailer hitch. I was hoping for some ideas to come up with a more creative install, but this will work.
That's pretty much how I did mine. I made an effort to "hide" it as best I could. I also carry extra zip ties to secure the connector on to the hitch plate under the fender to keep it up and out of the way when not in use. I have the Hidden Hitch set-up.

Headed to Phoenix in two weeks ... Wow ... Hope the weather is on your side.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 AM
bishopatdaclub
Novice

Yea I installed the Bushtec Hitch - tucked under there nicely and with the pin out, it's hidden nicely. When I get to my destination, I can always cut the zip tie and tuck the plug under my seat until next time. I was looking at the factory wiring, hence that particular question, but I'm thinking going that route would have required pulling the rear tire for access to the loom, and I'm not that ambitious lol

Headed to Phoenix in two weeks ... Wow ... Hope the weather is on your side.
^ HA watch, it will rain the whole way oh well, I will just have to find a pub. Thanks for the response, and be safe.