Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Anybody have recent Voyager experience with a newer kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody have recent Voyager experience with a newer kit?

I'm going to have to go to a trike soon if I'm going to stay on the road, and after 50 years in the wind I can't imagine life without riding. The way I see it my options are either to belly up 32K for a new TG (or maybe a little less for a nice low-mileage used one), or go with a Voyager kit on one of my current bikes. And I'd have to go a little in debt to get a TG which I'd prefer not to do. So why am I leaving out all the in between options like Champion, MotorTrike, Lehman, Frankenstein and the rest? Easy, at around 15K out the door on top of a bike I already own whose market value is probably close to 10K that just gets it too close to TG territory. And being a guy that always considers resale just in case, I can't imagine that a conversion kit of any brand would come close to a TG resale wise. Maybe a Lehman, but something's fishy there. I called them and their recording said call back in a week, they're reorganizing or some such. That doesn't sound good.

Anyway, I digress. I've read a bunch of threads about the Voyager kit but most of the first-hand experience seems to be 4-5 years old and I have to think they've improved the kits since then. No offense to anyone, but I'm really not too interested in what you think they look like, nor any third-hand rumors about somebody you know who has a third cousin that saw one fall off at highway speed. But I'd sure love to hear about any recent first-hand experience, pros/cons or whatever. At face value they just seem like a real good option.

And oh yeah, would an otherwise stock stage one TC88 support a Voyager kit OK? Together my wife and myself hit around 450 lbs. and it pulls us fine right now. We mostly do 150 mile day trips these days and don't ride much over 60 mph, actually preferring 50-55.

Thanks all.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
swamper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voyager kit

I have had my kit on my 2006 Ulta Classic for about 2 years. Still like it just fine. My wife and I have put several thousand miles on it. We probably weigh about the same as you stated and have no problems at all. We just have a stage 1 on our bike. It runs great all day long at 75mph, never have to down shift when touring on the interstate. It does not get very good gas milage about 28 to 30 but we run 75mph or above. It would probably do a lot better at slower speeds. For the money we are well pleased. It takes some getting use to but well worth the effort.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
SOBRIC
Novice

My wife has a kit on her hon... well, it's not a harley. I did the work and test rode it. At first it really sucked, kind of wobled all overand was way to low. I went back and readjusted the shocks then re "pre-loaded" the suspension on the voyager. Rode it about 20 miles down a twisty and it is sweet. Pull the bars into the corner and it felt like it just launched through the curve. Felt very stable. Back tire is alittle light, easy to spin and skid when breaking but thats compared to my Ultra. Altogether, I think its a fine ride for a hon... well, one of those.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
nmmng
Stage III
Angry Question about Voyager Conversion Kit

I installed a Standard Voyager Conversion Kit (VCK) last year to my Harley. The purchase, installation and paint job cost me about $5K. I should have gone to Las Vegas and had a 5K party that I would have smiled about forever. I guess you're getting the idea. I am not at all pleased with the VCK and here's why. Unlike a real trike with about 5 degrees front fork rake, the bike is much harder to steer. With the original motorcycle intact, that was originally contra-steered, the motorcycle still wants to lean opposite the direction of the steer. (Push Right - Lean Right - Turn Right) From an engineering standpoint, those forces still exist, so, when you wish to make a right turn with the VCK, you have to steer right. Since you are steering right, the lateral force cause by the motorcycle wheels still considers this to be a left turn with the motorcycle wanting to lean left in the usual manner. As a result, the force needed to make that right turn becomes four to five times greater. Another major deficit is that because the bike is no longer leaning into the turn and the center of gravity is not shifting to the right, there is no counter-action to the centrifugal force that wants you to move toward the outside of the turn. Turns that you could regularly handle with your bike, now, with the VCK, require you to vastly reduce your speed to limit the centrifugal force. Living out west in a mountainous area with sharp turns and switch-backs, when a traffic sign suggest 15 mph for a turn, I make sure my speed is at 15 or less - when I used to be able to do the same turn safely at 35 or 40.

I did a demo ride on a Harley Tri Glide and these problems did not exist. It is only a 3-wheeler as compared to the 4-wheeler VCK. Additionally, the Tri Glide fork is raked about 5 degrees. Yes, you still "steer" the TG, but the lateral gyroscopic force does not exist on the 3-wheeler as it does with the 4-wheeler. The centrifugal force element is still present with the Tri Glide, so you still have to slow down for turns as compared to a 2-wheeler. That's a small price to pay for the increased safety in a trike.

So, if you think I'm wrong and still want the Voyager Conversion Kit, I'll sell mine to you at a REAL BARGAIN. I had sent similar dialogue to both Voyager and the dealer and never got a response. Feel free to copy this and pose the same questions to your dealer. Naturally, there was no up-front disclosure about the Voyager as I am giving your here. A friend of mine was considering a Voyager for his wife's Heritage Softtail Deluxe. After riding mine he realized that she could never muster the strength required to steer the bike with the Voyager. We are spread so far and wide, it is difficult to bring together the many dissatisfied Voyager victims. Otherwise a class-action suit would be filed tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Victor F
Intermediate

Nmmg,

This is disappointing to read as I was seriously considering a Voyager for my Ultra. I thought the price and reviews made this option a good choice.

I haven't tried any 3 or 4 wheeler so I am not at all familiar with the steering differences over my stock 2 Wheel Harley.

My wife won't ride with me on 2 wheels for safety reasons so the Voyager seemed like a good compromise over the $30K + for a Tri Glide.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
SWAMPMASTER
2nd Gear

I know this is to little to late, but my wife rides a Goldwing with a Voyager kit and loves it she know she would never be able to hold up that size bike without it. Is it better than a trike ? No but the cost difference is big also. I still have offered to buy her a Softail or something on 2 wheels she can handle but she likes what she has

Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Patches0602
Stage II

I have a 2009 Ultra classic with the fiberglass voyager kit on it. I bought it with 7,500 miles and only told the guy that had it had but 1 leg so they put the kit and air shifter on it.Tha damn thing i didn't have 500 miles and twice the rear axle bolt on rt side has been loose. Not at less than 9,00 miles and 5 times in shop today its back in shop for same issue. Plus in La you must take kit off for a Harley dealer to work on it! Sucks. Sorry for my langauage but you can't go 700 miles and it not end up in the shop. Hello I can't ride a 2 wheeler because of back surgeries and love my trike when its working right but now after over $30,000 into it I'm thinking I have a nightmare that Gulf Coast harley out of New Port Richey, Fl sold me on purpose.They aren't trying to help me at all. I have the emails fwd to me from the manager William "ken" Edwards as well as what Mr Lee received and nothing nmatches. They won't send me the real paperwork as to who bought the kit from Voyager and the kit was sold for and 08 bike and I have an 09 bike. Luckily the only thing changed was the hardware but for the voyager dealer to change it to the right parts thats another $800 I'm screwed out of.I love the ride and yes it takes strength and slower in curves but i hate the troubles I am having with it!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a Voyager kit on a 96 Kawasaki Voyager for a customer. It took a bit of tweaking to get everything straight and the preload on the springs is very important. The owner of the bike is very happy with it and has had no issues with it as far as I know.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy that rides with me that put one on a Kawasaki Drifter he hated it so bad he traded it off on CSC honda trike... He kept telling me it was the most meserable thing he has ever riddin !! I relize this isn't first hand info but Im just sayin and putting in my 2 cents...