Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Which Ignition Tuner is best

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM
psalm10720
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Ignition Tuner is best

I have a 2008 FLHX. I bought a stage 1 kit and am thinking of putting on Vance & Hines slip-ons.

I am more confused than ever after talking to the local harley shop.

1. HD Race Tuner
2. Power Commander
3. Thunder Max
4. Other??

Do I need to dyno or not?

Which one is the best? Is there a best?

If I decide to upgrade cams or other engine components which one is best?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Which Ignition Tuner is best

Good question. My best advice is that you do lots of research before you buy one. If you are going to get the HD tuner you might as well wait until the new one comes out in Summer. I have an older SERT that I am trying one or two more maps with and if I can't get it right I'll go with the Tmax system. But whatever you get make sure the tuner is compatible with the new 2008 bikes. Some may not be. I'm not sure the Tmax is set up for the 08's yet. Look before you leap. Check with your dealer to be certain they can at least give you a Stage1 download to run until you buy a tuner. You might wish to PM Shovelhead Bob here as he will know which tuners are compatible with your bike.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Study this topic" is excellent advice....there are so many choices. AS was said...there is no easy answer. You don't absolutely need a dyno tune with most of the systems as most have "canned maps" to chose from. These Canned maps will get you real close but every bike is different so it is still possible to get more out of it with a dyno tune. Thundermax claims AUTOTUNE but thats not exactly true. The only thing I'd recommend for sure is get something that can tune both air/fuel and timing. Again....take your time and study all the options.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you purchased a bike to continually do performance mods you will either have to embrace and learn engine management systems or find a shop, dealer or independent, that already has. If you decide to do your own tuning,assumingyou the desire and aptitude,it will require a lot ofyour time doing research, somewhat like you are doing now. If you decide to find a shop, you have to find one that you are confortable with even if you have to travel to find one. Then,strongly consider what theyrecommend,checkwith some others that you have confidence in for confirmation, then make your decision. Don't showup at a shop with brandC when their knowledgeand experience is with brand B, even if C is percieved by many as better.

You have an 08, which is going to limit your options compared to what is available for previous yearHDs.My prediction, this is a trend that will continue asHD EMSs become more complexand powerful due to integrating existing and moreinternal controls, such as EPA, Throttle Control, ABS, Security, Traction Control, Guages, Lighting, CruiseControl, Seat Belts, Air Bags etc.. Some of that I'm just kidding.This trend is what happened in the automotive tuning world whichprovided an opportunityfor some excellentindependent organizations toreverse engineerthe factory softwareand provide somevery powerful softwarefor reprogrammingfactory PCMs.Most of the aftermarketEMS piggybacks and plug-ins disappeard fromthe automotivemarket.