Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Olie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Went out for a test ride today with the TT- i could tell right away the bike was running better just firing it up, letting it warm up, then a couple of blips on throttle. motor sounded crisp and more responsive than usual. the map I loaded was a TT enabled tune file from DJ. I only edited the timing in the decel area of spark tables and enriched the lambda table a bit.

Enabled a TT-AT session with min map set to 30, min ve learn set to 0.01, max ve learn set to 50, min hits set to 3. took a good half hour ride through canyons, town and some freeway. Bike ran very good, very strong, overall impressed.

But here is the kicker and need some help- when I got back home looked at the AT TT and it said "0 learned" for everything. not a single ve learn or hit. Did I miss something here?

when I enabled TT AT (I selected "Target Tune Auto Tune" correctly from options) I let the PV do it's thing, followed prompt to turn off key / back on, started bike and verified that AT TT showed enabled. also verified that WB sensors were operational and reading AFRs. After got back, stopped engine running with handlebar switch, key still on, exported AT session to a tune slot. disabled TT AT. opened up the new AT TT tune file in WinPV and compared to previous tune file. zero changes indeed.

Ideas anyone on what I missed / why no changes by AT? the TT enabled tune file DJ sent me can't be that perfect out of the box. the TT-enabled tune file is attached here.
For some reason I can't open your file, maybe because it's a Target Tune file and I don't have that upgrade for winpv. Funny thing is, it says it's a txt file. Is it a log?

Old 02-07-2016, 07:05 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if the ECM was married to a SE tuner, or let's say a TTS, it won't have any affect on the PV marrying up to it?

What I'm trying to avoid is buying this bike, not knowing what was used to tune it, and then finding out the tuning device used won't be compatible with PV. Then getting stuck having to buy a new ECM.

Hope this is making sense.

James

no- with the PV, it will copy your existing SE tune in the ECM. you can save that and load it as the current PV tune. no loss of anything.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Olie
Advanced

Originally Posted by usaf8ret
So if the ECM was married to a SE tuner, or let's say a TTS, it won't have any affect on the PV marrying up to it?

What I'm trying to avoid is buying this bike, not knowing what was used to tune it, and then finding out the tuning device used won't be compatible with PV. Then getting stuck having to buy a new ECM.

James
From what Dynojet says,
"Will the Power Vision overwrite a non factory tune? In most cases yes; the Power Vision doesn’t care what tune is in the ECM. When the Power Vision is married to a bike, it saves a copy of whatever tune is in the ECM at that time. This tune will be saved in a hidden slot and called Original tune. If you restore Original tune with the Power Vision, it will write this tune back to the ECM"

So, you should be able to reflash the EMC with the Power Vision and new tune. The only time I can see needing the stock tune is if you are importing a tune from the Power Commander 3/5. That requires the stock tune to complete.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Olie
For some reason I can't open your file, maybe because it's a Target Tune file and I don't have that upgrade for winpv. Funny thing is, it says it's a txt file. Is it a log?
Olie- the only way to upload it here is to add ".txt" to the end of the file name. rename the file and remove the ".txt" so it then just has .pvt as the file extension

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by usaf8ret

James
You should check over in the TTS thread here for info specific to that. Not sure what the result is if bike was tuned with a TTS and then TTS unit disappears. but pretty sure worst case you could go into the PV and load any of the tunes to the ECM in it's tune database. seriously doubt you'd have to buy a new ECM.

If bike was tuned with an SE tuner then no issue at all.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Olie
Advanced

Olie- the only way to upload it here is to add ".txt" to the end of the file name. rename the file and remove the ".txt" so it then just has .pvt as the file extension
I'm on windows 10 so I had to figure that out...duh. Looks like a good tune but that won't tell you if any changes were made because that is just a tune. Did you datalog? Can you send the original tune before Auto TT? Need something to compare to.
I'm also wondering why a 2013 tune is using TPS for the VE tables and not MAP?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Windows 10- joy. That is the pre-AutoTT file you have. The post AutoTT file was identical down to the byte size of the file. AutoTT did not change a thing on it.

I plan on doing some data logging tomorrow- Ive been tuning with the PV manually for about a year and come up with some decent tunes based on data logging.

I'm sure something is not quite right with the TT's operation- either that or I'm missing some step in regards to using TT not present in manual / literature. Are you using TT on your PV?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

I don't normally look at that screen- when I AT, after a tuning run I look at the line summary which says % of changes etc - then I will look at green screen, which was blank due to the "0% changed" issue.

I took a ride today with it in normal mode, AT disabled, and the bike ran really flat. not good at all. actually felt pretty lean if I had to guess.

I wonder why it ran so well in AT TT mode (really well in fact) but normal mode something is definitely not right. the throttle crispness is gone, power is reduced. exhaust smells lean even though my lambda map is on the rich side.
Something is going on. The first step to diagnose any potential issues would be to go to Datalog>Gauges and verify the wideband sensors are online. You will configure the gauges to read WBO2 Lambda or AFR front & rear from the "vehicle"channel list and run the bike, this will represent live AF from the databus. Also note during normal operation you can refer to the closed loop channels CLI & AFF to check if closed loop is operating. Most importantly make 100% sure you have current PV firmware and Winpv is up to date, if your Target Tune map was opened in an earlier version of software at any point the Target Tune tables will be stripped.

As far as auto tune, we will need to know if it was populating data from the auto tune screen and if there were any errors present during this process. If the data shows 0%, chances are something is not correct in your Auto Tune settings or something was not updated along the way

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks Jamie- I plan on doing this bit of checking and data gathering tomorrow, I will definitely set up and log those signals. I had updated everything prior to loading the new TT map onto the PV. I did initially check to ensure the WB O2 sensors were showing data in a PV gauge screen. that checked out ok.

when I first got the TT map from DJ, i was all up to date with WinPV which is when I opened and edited the tune file. My PV firmware was up to date. I needed one incremental update to the tune DB and did that before loading the TT tune onto the PV.

With the tune files attached (the one I used today), are you able to see if the TT got stripped out? the numeric file is the one DJ sent me and the renamed one is the same file but with a few edits in WinPV. i added .txt to the file name so it will upload here. Thanks of course for your help.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
KL-TT-V1-70t.pvt.txt (43.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: txt
TT-13S103002406.pvt.txt (42.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-07-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Olie- Non touring and non-CVO Softails prior to 2016 are cable throttle. So we get a TPS-based VE table (which I really don't like but it is what it is). Only FBW bikes use MAP-based VE.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread