Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:42 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

So I got the Target Tune install finished tonight. No time for a fire up and test ride now but will be doing that tomorrow. Got the ECM flashed with the TT-enabled map, checked to see if my WB O2 F/R were showing up in the datalog signal selections, and left it at that for tonight.

I overall found the installation to be easy and the provided instructions adequate. the provided sensor wire lengths were plenty long enough for runs and a stealthy install. I hid the front wide band sensor plug behind the voltage regulator plate at front of frame.

Only thing that was touchy is the TT module's wire screw terminals. the manual advises piercing the membrane inside each hole with a paperclip or similar first before wiring. The membrane is fairy tough so that is good advice, I did that. The trick I found to wiring up the sensor wires securely to the TT is to first unscrew all of the terminals counter clockwise until you feel each one click. that indicates it is all the way open. you need to do this first to ensure the wire inserts all the way in without hassle.

When you push the wire into a terminal hole, the stripped part of wire will insert easily up to the wire's covering. then push a bit more and it should slide with in some resistance another 1/16" or so (you'll feel it). That part is very important.
Hold the wire inward as you tighten the screw lug. this keeps the wire from walking back out during tightening.
Give a gentle but medium-firm pull back on the wire to be sure it is seated and absolutely secure.

There were a few wires that did not want to go in that last 1/16" and tightening the lug screw did not secure them. A bit of re-wiggling while inserting got them to go in the last bit.

Always give a gentle but medium-firm pull back on each wire after tightening to be sure it is held solid by the screw terminal connector. You don't want one of them coming out while riding.

Overall nice piece of kit- looking forward to playing with it tomorrow.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-07-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Went out for a test ride today with the TT- i could tell right away the bike was running better just firing it up, letting it warm up, then a couple of blips on throttle. motor sounded crisp and more responsive than usual. the map I loaded was a TT enabled tune file from DJ. I only edited the timing in the decel area of spark tables and enriched the lambda table a bit.

Enabled a TT-AT session with min map set to 30, min ve learn set to 0.01, max ve learn set to 50, min hits set to 3. took a good half hour ride through canyons, town and some freeway. Bike ran very good, very strong, overall impressed.

But here is the kicker and need some help- when I got back home looked at the AT TT and it said "0 learned" for everything. not a single ve learn or hit. Did I miss something here?

when I enabled TT AT (I selected "Target Tune Auto Tune" correctly from options) I let the PV do it's thing, followed prompt to turn off key / back on, started bike and verified that AT TT showed enabled. also verified that WB sensors were operational and reading AFRs. After got back, stopped engine running with handlebar switch, key still on, exported AT session to a tune slot. disabled TT AT. opened up the new AT TT tune file in WinPV and compared to previous tune file. zero changes indeed.

Ideas anyone on what I missed / why no changes by AT? the TT enabled tune file DJ sent me can't be that perfect out of the box. the TT-enabled tune file is attached here.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
KL-TT-V1-70t.pvt.txt (43.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-07-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

LA Dog, when you were out on the tuning run, were the cells turning green on the PV monitor?

Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use a Power Vision with SESPT?

Hello guys. I am looking at a used bike that has been tuned with one of the SE tuners. I'm not sure which one. Will this stop me from being able to use a Power Vision? I haven't been able to find anything searching online that gives any guidance.

James

Old 02-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

James, if you don't get the tuner with the bike, you'll have to get it reflashed by a dealer. If you get the tuner, you have to flash it back to the stock tune and then marry the pv to it, as far as I know.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you can let the power vision save the current tune as the original tune.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

Do all the SE tuning kits come with a tuner?

Originally Posted by Wmitz
James, if you don't get the tuner with the bike, you'll have to get it reflashed by a dealer. If you get the tuner, you have to flash it back to the stock tune and then marry the pv to it, as far as I know.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:53 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

LA Dog, when you were out on the tuning run, were the cells turning green on the PV monitor?

I don't normally look at that screen- when I AT, after a tuning run I look at the line summary which says % of changes etc - then I will look at green screen, which was blank due to the "0% changed" issue.

I took a ride today with it in normal mode, AT disabled, and the bike ran really flat. not good at all. actually felt pretty lean if I had to guess.

I wonder why it ran so well in AT TT mode (really well in fact) but normal mode something is definitely not right. the throttle crispness is gone, power is reduced. exhaust smells lean even though my lambda map is on the rich side.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:54 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

So if I get what you're saying I must have the original tune in order to use PV?

Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

no- with the PV, it will copy your existing SE tune in the ECM. you can save that and load it as the current PV tune. no loss of anything. when I got my bike (used) the previous owner had already flashed it with an SE tuner stage1 map. PV copied that and I used it as my initial tune.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread