Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ADJUSTING IDLE FOR MAGNETTI-MARELLI (MM) EFI

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
rdeitel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADJUSTING IDLE FOR MAGNETTI-MARELLI (MM) EFI

Has anyone adjusted the cold/hot idle on their MM EFI system using the a procedure in the DIY folder.

I don't understand the part "shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse (in the fuse holder on the ECM bracket), run a lead from the cold (relay) side of the 5 amp socket to ground". Does this mean ground/negative side of fuse holder to the bike battery ground?

Below is the procedure in the DIY folder:

This describes a method to set cold and hot idle speed on Magneti-Morelli EFI systems.

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. This is a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw (in linkage, on the side that rotates with the throttle plates) in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out (therefore, set cold idle speed at 1200 rpm for TC-88's)It's that easy . Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle (in the throttle body, forward of the front intake, near the bottom) up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse (in the fuse holder on the ECM brackett), run a lead from the cold (relay) side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000. Works like a charm.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: ADJUSTING IDLE FOR MAGNETTI-MARELLI (MM) EFI

I've adjuste mine several times over the years. Once you get it set, just remove the left side cover and pull the ECM fuse for about 15 minutes.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 854 Likes on 414 Posts
Default RE: ADJUSTING IDLE FOR MAGNETTI-MARELLI (MM) EFI

I agree; just pull the ECM fuse and don't worry about the ground.

Uncle Peepers