Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Having bike Dynotuned question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Having bike Dynotuned question

I have a PV and when I installed my Andrews 57H cams, I flashed it with a canned map from Fuel Moto. My question is: Do I have to flash bike back to original Harley tune before having it Dynotuned, or just leave the map I have in it and let them go at it? If I need to load the original tune how do I do that with the PV?
Thanks Much...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Just leave it. The tuner may leave that canned map in as his starting point or he may choose another map to start with depending on his experiences.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
keno
Road Master

Thanks qtrracer. When they dynotune it, are they using my Power Vision, or bypassing it? I know nothing about tuning or tuners or Dyno Tuners. I'm having it tuned at Trask Performance in Phoenix, Not a Harley Dealership.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Most likely they will use their own computer plugged into your pv.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM
keno
Road Master

Can't they just plug right into the diagnosis port and not use the PV? Or does having a PV tune block it somehow? Sorry for lame questions but I'm driving over 200 miles and spending 400.00 and don't want to get there and have a problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A dyno shop will use your PV.

They will use their computer and your PV as has been stated. Here is the why:

The tuner manufacturers long ago decided that the way for all of them to make money is to have a single tuner for a single bike. Remember, the 'tuner' device is basically the device that talks to the computer on your bike... Your Electronic Control Module... the ECM.

For a shop to use something different would cost the shop the money to buy their own tuning device for YOUR bike. I use whats called Direct Link tuning system at times, but even that requires a 'one use' key fob to allow the bike and the computer to 'talk' back and forth. That simple usb key costs me $100s and costs the consumer like $300.

PV will be a good system for them to use, and the added benefit will be that later, you may change somethings, and you can either try to Do It Yourself (DIY) or... the costs have already been paid for the device and the dyno shop will simply use the PV again.

Your PV is NOT a one time use thing.... it is a one bike thing. That means you can use the PV over and over and over again, as long as it is the same bike.

The diagnostic port is bascially for that... diagnostics. Even a Harley dealer cannot touch the tune inside the bike without a tuning device. All of the tuning crap is in a different section of the ECM and needs some kind of device to 'translate' back and forth.

Bring the bike and the PV with you to the shop. That is basically all you will need.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 04-23-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
keno
Road Master

Thanks for this Info. Appreciated..

Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
keno
Road Master

I'm having it dyno tuned at Trask Performance in Phoenix.