Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help---Bike Suddenly Dies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Sanyasi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help---Bike Suddenly Dies?

Riding along on my 2003 electra glide classic for a few hours yesterday and all of a sudden bike starts hesitating ,missing and dies. Coasted to side of road, turned off bike, and started again immediately, drove along for a few blocks, did same thing, a mile later for the third time, but one block from Denco cycle who does a lot of the work for me. Had done same thing once before about a month ago.
They put it on the scanalyzer, no codes thrown, new fuel filter and battery a few weeks ago, has for past year seems to misfire up to 2500 rpm., plugs and ignition switch are fine. Saw speedo and tach bouncing around while it was dying. Last year put in new speedo sensor and a few months ago a new 50 amp fuse (casing on old one cracked). All connections seem to be clean and tight. They think it's a short somewhere and that means a slow and painful search at $100.00 an hour.
When I had it mapped a year ago (screaming eagle race tuner) it crashed three times and totally wiped out the stock map, had to be trailered to a HD dealer to have the original map installed again. The tuning guy thought there was a short some where as well that was causing the crash. He said he put the sert in 98 percent but couldn't do it properly until the short was found. (Whether he did or didn't is a different matter). I've looked at all the wires and connections possible myself while cleaning my new to me bike and found one broken wire to the running lights which I fixed. The only thing I've done since the first stalling a month ago is one of Jasons fans (great product) and a siren for the alarm system.-----Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
drew macmillan
5th Gear

my ultra did same, it was bad battery, would not hold charge hope yours is as simple. good luck

Old 06-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Sanyasi
Advanced

Shop has tried to find it for 6 hours to no avail. New battery a month ago, thought it might be main circuit breaker overheating but it's charging normally and it was replaced earlier.. Everything seems o.k No codes thrown, hasn't died while in the shop.
They are at a total loss. Mentioned the TSSM which can't be tested he said. Going to pick it up in two days, clench my jaw when I pay the bill. Ride it for a few days to see if it does it again and then take it to the HD dealer and have them put it on "the break out box". Which is as I understand it a special piece of equipment only dealers have for finding shorts. I know when it is found it will be something simple, but in the meantime it's $100.00 an hour.