Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

red liquid behind tps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 PM
m74cran
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red liquid behind tps?

I have been having issues with what I believe to be a stock 2007 Electra Glide classic besides the exhaust, I think I have narrowed it down to the throttle position sensor, when I took it off today there was a red fluid all over in the housing it sits in and it was dripping from inside of the tps, I am wondering if this is normal?, i tested it out of the bike, i tested it at the positive and negative pins, it read 3.87 for most of time I was turning it with jumps here and there, i saw 6.66 and 14.xx, when I turned it back I could not recreate the jumps, the dial on the back is real loose, sound bad to you?, when installing is there any special procedure I need to do, or is it plug and play?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser

You sure it wasn't engine oil? I just replaced mine and there was a bit of oil behind it. Pretty straight forward to install, line it up on the shaft and rotate a bit to install the screws. I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear any codes unless you can clear codes with a programmer.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM
m74cran
Intermediate

Oil? Okay maybe, but how would oil work it's way there? No vacuum to suck it in and there was a lot, to the point it was dripping out when I took it off, would that mean there is another issue I need to dig into, because if I just replace the tps, oil will work its way back in, and liquid and electronics don't mix well... plug and play is what I like.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m74cran
I have been having issues with what I believe to be a stock 2007 Electra Glide classic besides the exhaust, I think I have narrowed it down to the throttle position sensor, when I took it off today there was a red fluid all over in the housing it sits in and it was dripping from inside of the tps, I am wondering if this is normal?, i tested it out of the bike, i tested it at the positive and negative pins, it read 3.87 for most of time I was turning it with jumps here and there, i saw 6.66 and 14.xx, when I turned it back I could not recreate the jumps, the dial on the back is real loose, sound bad to you?, when installing is there any special procedure I need to do, or is it plug and play?
Do you have an oiled type Air Filter? K&N uses a red oil for charging the filter.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

that red oil is assembly lube that is put on throttle shaft so the seal is lubed and not damaged during assembly.