Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1977 and 1966 IRON HEADS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
calabeast
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 and 1966 IRON HEADS

Hello all! I am new to this forum. It looks like there is lots of great info on hear (I know I am going to need it). I am in the process of restoring (2) different iron heads. The first one is almost complete, and it is a 1977 iron head sporty XLCH with kick start only. I am having some difficulties with the wiring. Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram they can scan in from the factory HD manual for that year and send to me? Please don't send me tothat website that has impossible to read numbers and lines on the diagram, I've been there and done that. I recieved a manual that I ordered online and they sent me the 1977XLCR which is a cafe racer and is enough different to be worthless on the wiring side of things.[:@] I already used it (it is greasy) it helped me through a lot, but I don't want to fork out another 50 bucks for 2 sheets.

My bigger challenge is a 1966 Ironhead xlch right side shift-chopper, basket case, that I recently purchased. I am looking for some info, or tricks of the trade to let me know how far I have to break down and rebuild the engine? Can I get away with redoing the upper half (jugs, pistons, rings, vavles) only? When I picked it up, it shifted into neutral and kicked over freely. The Jugs look fine, the front piston shows some wear and tear. On a different note, does anyone have a doner bike with some extra parts they would like to part with?I need: wire harness, pistons, rings, oil drain plug, horn, ignition switch, magneto, voltage regulator, front break caliper. Everything else I can pick up fairly easily at our local HD parts barn.

I believe that I was successful loading the1977 pic, but the file limit size won't let me add the 1966. I am a newbie, I'll learn! Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/62008/3A86826A73EE4578894A6092348B1D67.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
supr2nr
Tourer
Default RE: 1977 and 1966 IRON HEADS

I have the 77 wiring diagram for you at home. Right now I'm at work. When I get home I will scan it for you and upload it. I'm really digging the paint job on the 77. Looks really good.

As far as the 66 goes. Other people might disagree with me, but I would just stick with the top half. It would be too much work to pull cases apart and really for nothing. As long as the fly wheel is true and the connecting rods are true then I would leave it alone. Thats not to say I wouldn't clean the case up though. Because you bought it as a basket case, I would at the very least check the size on the jugs and make sure they aren't worn unevenly and if so get them bored to the next usable size. That will mean you will have to get new pistons and rings too. If they check out fine, then I would just hone them put new rings on the pistons, new gaskets, maybe new valves if the valve guides look okay, and be done with it.

I can't help you on the parts, but the drain plug you could just pick up from Autozone or O'reilly's or similar. Some of the other stuff you could get really cheaply at J&P Cycles. I know it won't be free but still not that expensive.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
calabeast
Advanced

supr2nr

Thanks for the quick response and for the compliment on the 77. I didn't paint the bike, however I did pick out the tank, and make the brackets to make it fit. I'll try to get a pic of the top view of the tank. It has a grizzly bear ghosted into the flames. I would really appreciate the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info on the 66 also. You confirmed what I was thinking. Do you think that I should rebuild the clutch plates while I have everything apart? Also, Have you ever rebuilt a magneto?

Your bike looks super clean. What did you use for a tank and fenders on that ironhead?

Calabeast

Old 05-21-2008, 05:18 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

The tank and fender are a quick bob tank and fender, but unfortunately they are not the correct years. The previous owner appears to have bought a later model fender and tank, as the fender shoudl have an indentation to allow clearance for the circuit breakers which it doesn't and it a bit too wide. The tank's front mounts don't quite reach all the way up to the mounting hole! So I have had to buy larger washers to ensure that it holds.

Unfortunately mine looks clean from a far distance but if you get close enough you would see all the chip marks and problems in the paint! LOL. That's a whole other project scheduled for this winter.

If you already have everything apart it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do the clutch as well since its not that hard to do (just make sure you have the right tools). And since its been sitting for a while and probably not been able to be riden by you very much you won't know the problems of the clutch. But if the primary cover is already off then might as well pay the 50 or so bucks and get some new plates and put them in. Thats just my 2 cents on it though.

Unfortunately I have never had the oppurtunity to rebuild a magneto. Piniongear or another member on here who has an older model than mine (mine is a 76) has probably done so and can give you help on that.

I am leaving work right now so I will be home in about 30 or so minutes and I will post up that wiring diagram for yah.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Alright here yah go. 1977 XLCH wiring diagram and the color codes.

Enjoy!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

On a different note, does anyone have a doner bike with some extra parts they would like to part with?I need: wire harness, pistons, rings, oil drain plug, horn, ignition switch, magneto, voltage regulator, front break caliper.

You may as well be requesting someone hand you over some gold bars!
You can buy most of the items you need, except for the magneto. From time to time they do show up on Ebay, but it will cost you a great deal.
Now, I do not understand if you have the magneto, or need a complete one. Here is the list of parts associated with the mag. I have more mag info should you need it.
Sorry, no parts at all.......pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/735F1F2DBBCE402BA4BCBBAF885622C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

hey pg. I found the magneto on J&P Cycles, but ummm I'm not sure anyone would want to pay that much money for a complete unit! Which may be why you say you can't find the whole magneto. you probably meant you can't find one at a price that anyone can afford! LOL

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetai...e=&search= [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
calabeast
Advanced

Thanks Piniongear, and Super2nr. Your diagrams helped me to get all of the electrical working on the 1977.AllI need to do now is set the timing (I think). After kicking her over a couple times she sounds like she wants to start...rumbling and popping...haven't got it yet but, she is close. Any recommendations?

As for the 1966, My progress so far is: It is stripped down to the tins and frame. Juggs are off. I have recieved my owners manual (finally). I am in the process of checking the generator. I have it all apart and I am following the instructions to see if the magnets, brushes, and armature..etc are all good. I also ordered a magneto rebuild kit, complete engine gasket kit, carb (bendix zenieth) rebuild kit. I mounted a solo single seat on it,bought a chain, put a chrome headlight on it, Ran a braided throttle line and found some foot peg brackets (they were missing).Once the gasket kits arrive I can really start making some progress on it.

The old lady (preggo I might add) is starting to hate my garage....but at least it beats being in a bar.

Thanks all, and keep that knowledge coming. You don't even know how much time and money your saving me! I am taking pictures of every step, hopefully when this bike is done I'll have a write up for this forum in the future.

Calabeast

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is rumbling and popping, all it may need is a shot of starter fluid down the carb throat.
I bet that makes it fire off.
Try to spray and then quickly install the air filter before cranking. That stuff is explosive........pg