Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:26 PM
pyro
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam timing

manuals don't say specifically so I just wanted to check... cams are timed with the front cylinder timing mark in the window?

Rich

Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Doesn't matter, line up with the mark on the pinion gear.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
pyro
Tourer

I was hoping to say nevermind before someone posted. Allready figured out and back together. Sometimes I impress myself, other times I have to ask myself "WTF were you thinking". This time was the latter. Thanks for the swift response though.

Rich

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

yea put timin mark dead center in insp. hole then align the marks on cams and pinion gear exactly sounds like u got itdoes it fire up? hers another trick if you have o ring manifold and want to seal so u have no leaks and bullet prof. get black electritions tape the kind thats viynal backed put 2 wraps around the the joints over the o ring then relpace clamps it will never leak thats one headache u wont have to deal with works great i should charge for this info juno ha ha ha ha

ride hard die fee

Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by popstheoldman
yea put timin mark dead center in insp. hole then align the marks on cams and pinion gear exactly sounds like u got itdoes it fire up? hers another trick if you have o ring manifold and want to seal so u have no leaks and bullet prof. get black electritions tape the kind thats viynal backed put 2 wraps around the the joints over the o ring then relpace clamps it will never leak thats one headache u wont have to deal with works great i should charge for this info juno ha ha ha ha
Feel free to charge for your information if you like, but to do cam timing you are not required to align the timing mark dead center in the hole.
That is done when you want to time the oil pump breather.
But then, I am sure you know that........pg

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

well from what i under stand if u dont do it the way i explained u get pressure build up in cases and causes leaks or other problemms like blowin gaskets and such

Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by popstheoldman
well from what i under stand if u dont do it the way i explained u get pressure build up in cases and causes leaks or other problemms like blowin gaskets and such

Yep, when you have had an engine apart, or at least had the oil pump removed, the first thing you do is:
Insert the pump.
Then move the flywheel to show the mark in the hole. This positions the crank in the position you need to obtain proper timing of the pump breather.
Next is to make sure the small hole in the breather tube lines up with the notch. Now we are finished timing the breather.

After that, the timing mark is ignored. In fact it moves away from the hole when you do the next step.....which is timing the cams to the pinion gear.

I guess the timing mark exercise is better stated as the step to set the breather timing correct before you move on to the cam timing. Of course that is done by lining up the mark on the pinion mark with the cam closest to it and then the other cams follow.
Lining up the pinion mark requires moving the flywheel.... and I find some people become confused because they think the timing mark has to stay at the hole when you time cams. Timing mark in the hole is just not part of timing the cams, it is for timing the breather..........pg

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
Timing mark in the hole is just not part of timing the cams, it is for timing the breather..........pg
Yes right (as usual) , if you have removed pinion gear from crank notice that you can put it back correct way. It can be installed at least 2 ways and only one is correct.
Affe has done some research about timing breather:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~affe2/hdlo...tml#1150288340

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cam timing.

That mark is only for setting the points.