Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

ironhead replacement cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:58 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ironhead replacement cylinders

76 Ironhead sportster 1000cc anyone know of, have info about, got any ideas/suggestions on replaceing the cylinders with other than cast iron with more cc ??
thanks

Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by madcritter
76 Ironhead sportster 1000cc anyone know of, have info about, got any ideas/suggestions on replaceing the cylinders with other than cast iron with more cc ??
thanks
That ain't gonna happen. If you want more cubic inches you will have to stroke the engine. Save your money and forget about it.
A stroked ironhead is just a disappointment waiting to happen.
If you just have to have a larger displacement Sportster, then take the money and buy yourself an Evo Sporty with 96 cu inches.......pg

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

http://www.visiongrinding.com/index.html

Just found 'em by Googling. Have no idea as to quality, etc.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the main interested was not so much in a larger cc but more of a curiosity as if it is possible to replace the iron jugs.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
If you just have to have a larger displacement Sportster, then take the money and buy yourself an Evo Sporty
Agree this pg !! , but madcritter, if you just coat jugs ... powder colors comes nearly aluminum color. It isn't very good for heat transfer..this isn't so critical if you have stock engine.

Last edited by sepixlh; 10-20-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:03 AM
IronHeadDrew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curious also-top end swap

I have an '84 Ironhead and an '86 Evo Sporty. The Ironhead flywheels are out of wack...so I said I'll just rebuild it when I got the funds. Now the Evo...my fiance dumped it first day of Daytona Bike Week. Messed it up pretty good. Snapped the shift shaft and bent all pegs on the left side....so sense the IH is down, I've been using the parts off it to get the Evo going. Used the shift shaft and even the clutch basket (magnets all came loose). Then wondered if I could swap the two top ends. The IH top end is completely rebuilt, port and polished and it's a 1000. The Evo is an 883. The bottom ends are completely the same. Could I put the Ironhead jugs on the Evo. Also same clearance in frame.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Frigeratorman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronHeadDrew
I have an '84 Ironhead and an '86 Evo Sporty. The Ironhead flywheels are out of wack...so I said I'll just rebuild it when I got the funds. Now the Evo...my fiance dumped it first day of Daytona Bike Week. Messed it up pretty good. Snapped the shift shaft and bent all pegs on the left side....so sense the IH is down, I've been using the parts off it to get the Evo going. Used the shift shaft and even the clutch basket (magnets all came loose). Then wondered if I could swap the two top ends. The IH top end is completely rebuilt, port and polished and it's a 1000. The Evo is an 883. The bottom ends are completely the same. Could I put the Ironhead jugs on the Evo. Also same clearance in frame.

In a word, NO.
The Iron Sportsters are completely different in many ways. Just to mention one is that they are a hemi designed motor, with domed pistons and with virtually no "squish" in the combustion chamber like the Alloy Sportsters have.
Another anomaly is the Iron jugs have oil drain down holes from the top of the cylinder to down around close to the bottom in the wall.
Plus a 1000cc bore is a bit bigger than an 883 bore and the spigot into the case of the Alloy won't fit.
Sorry Bro, two different varieties of the same species, yet all together different.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM
IronHeadDrew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frigeratorman
In a word, NO.
The Iron Sportsters are completely different in many ways. Just to mention one is that they are a hemi designed motor, with domed pistons and with virtually no "squish" in the combustion chamber like the Alloy Sportsters have.
Another anomaly is the Iron jugs have oil drain down holes from the top of the cylinder to down around close to the bottom in the wall.
Plus a 1000cc bore is a bit bigger than an 883 bore and the spigot into the case of the Alloy won't fit.
Sorry Bro, two different varieties of the same species, yet all together different.
Damn, yeah, I was just wondering cause the bottom end doesn't seem different at all. I figured just swapping jugs and pistons...didn't realize the con rod openings were a different size.