Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 AM
jones
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starters

I'm converting my 69 XLCH to an electric start. I have a 69 XLH left side case and I'm trying to collect the rest of the parts. I'm not clear on what starter parts I can use though. I'm hoping you guys can give some advice.

There are 3 main parts to the starter set-up and I'd like to know the interchangability of each. I've got a few questions.

1. What years starter housings will fit the 69 XLH case?

2. Will a Hitachi and Prestolite bolt to the same housing?

3. Ithink I'll need a Prestolite? But why wouldn't a Hitachi work?

4. And how about the starter solenoids? What years of solenoids are interchangable?

5. Are the solenoids specific to the Hitachi or Prestolite starters? Or are they interchangable (in terms of bolting to the housing too)?

6. Someone mentioned different starter tooth pitches to me. Does anyone know the details on this? Like what are the differencesand when did they change?

Any advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. [/align]

Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Starters

ORIGINAL: jones

I'm converting my 69 XLCH to an electric start. I have a 69 XLH left side case and I'm trying to collect the rest of the parts. I'm not clear on what starter parts I can use though. I'm hoping you guys can give some advice.

There are 3 main parts to the starter set-up and I'd like to know the interchangability of each. I've got a few questions.

1. What years starter housings will fit the 69 XLH case?
I have had only -72 and newer Ironheads so I'm not sure but check these...
If you have a casket kit try apply papercasket witch belong between case and starter how it fits?

2. Will a Hitachi and Prestolite bolt to the same housing?
I'm not 100% sure but I think they are, prestolite motor longer ? used also in shovels ?

3. Ithink I'll need a Prestolite? But why wouldn't a Hitachi work?
most of Ironheads ( newer) that I have seen had hitachi

4. And how about the starter solenoids? What years of solenoids are interchangable?
I think ( not sure) up to -82 or someting that when starter was changed alike it in evo
manufacturer nippondenso, oem part# 71469-65B applys to all starters.

5. Are the solenoids specific to the Hitachi or Prestolite starters? Or are they interchangable (in terms of bolting to the housing too)?
I think they are interchangeable ( not sure) look same housing looks same.

6. Someone mentioned different starter tooth pitches to me. Does anyone know the details on this? Like what are the differencesand when did they change?
This question I don't have answer.... hope you have info about my answer...
Ebay has prestolite for sale, look pictures they might help you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IRONH...QQcmdZViewItem

-sepixlh-

Any advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. [/align]
[/quote]

Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 PM
jrrdw
Stage II

M friend is about to get a 1977 Sporster 1000. He wants to convert it to eletric start. I'm assumeing the casing has a knock out to slide the starter in and bolt it up. Any advice as to what starter he can use? The wiring is my next concern??? Any help would be great.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it surprising that something as new as 1977 is not electric start. In anycase, I deal with Sportys just a bit older than that but my short answer to you is.....don't do it.
Annoying problems include having to have a larger battery, having to have another oil tank (the big battery sits in the center where your oil tank sits if it is a kick start only), additional wiring, switches, starter relay, solinoid, the starter motor itself etc.
The serious problems include needing additional parts inside the clutch compartment, starter shaft housing and all of it's many related parts. needing to drill and tap a hole in the top of the transmission case to install the hold down clamp on the starter motor....and this is an honest to God nightmare to do!
That is why my recomendation is to just forget the idea............pg

Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM
jrrdw
Stage II

That bad huh? I'll relay the message tomorrow when i go to work. Thanks for the information, but i know he is going to try it and i'll be stuck with holding his hand the entire way through, i'll get even by making him work on my van. I'll get it back 1 way or another!