Sponsored by:

CVO wind splitter vented windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default CVO wind splitter vented windshield

I've seen the wind splitter on CVO Road Kings and I think they look cool. I have a 16" LRS on now, I like it but if I have a helmet on it jiggles my head. With out a helmet it's fine.
The wind splitter looks like it's a little shorter but if that vent really helps I wonder if it would help with my helmet buffeting. I'm 5' 9" have any of you had the wind splitter ? if so, how tall are you, and how well do they perform ?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:45 PM
JakeyL.
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question. I've been wondering the same thing since the 2014 cvo King was released. Part of me wonders if the MOCO added the vent because all the other Rushmore bikes received the vent this past year (?). Have not seen the feedback on differences between this and the classic RK shield. I always felt like the RK didn't have much of a buffeting issue to begin with... Wind? Oh yeah, lots of wind, but never felt the buffeting that I've experienced on the fairing bikes. But as they say, nine if us are built the same way. Experiences will probably vary one rider to the next. He'll, I'm 6 feet...all torso. But I probably ride closer to that of a guy 5 foot 9, with all the slouching I do. Bad habits die hard

Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JakeyL.
Great question. I've been wondering the same thing since the 2014 cvo King was released. Part of me wonders if the MOCO added the vent because all the other Rushmore bikes received the vent this past year (?). Have not seen the feedback on differences between this and the classic RK shield. I always felt like the RK didn't have much of a buffeting issue to begin with... Wind? Oh yeah, lots of wind, but never felt the buffeting that I've experienced on the fairing bikes. But as they say, nine if us are built the same way. Experiences will probably vary one rider to the next. He'll, I'm 6 feet...all torso. But I probably ride closer to that of a guy 5 foot 9, with all the slouching I do. Bad habits die hard
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the vented CVO Road King came out in 13 One year before the 14 SG faring vents.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
JakeyL.
Advanced

[QUOTE=GPHDXLC;13440261]I'm not 100% sure, but I think the vented CVO Road King came out in 13 One year before the 14 SG faring vents.[/QUOTE

Wow... You are correct, sir! Shows what a couple years of staying out of the dealerships has done to me. While it appears shorter than the standard shield, I haven't heard one way or another how functional it is.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 PM
billd
Intermediate

My experience of helmet chatter was resolved with front fork fangs. Seem that air which got under my helmet come from under the shield & up my legs. Try placing a hand above knee/thigh to block some wind... if this helps... consider installing fangs.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'1" and the windshield was terrible. Wind like you would not believe. Might work for you at 5'9". I don't know that I would invest the money on a hunch though. Give me a yell if you are ever in my neck of the woods and I'll let you try it out. I replaced mine with a stock shield right away.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:27 AM
casbar
Cruiser

I am 5ft 8, the windshield works really well. No more glasses shake. There is wind though, so not in a calm bubble. Compared to my Heritage windshield, its a lot better. I even cut my Heritage screen down but never got away from the buffeting.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by billd
My experience of helmet chatter was resolved with front fork fangs. Seem that air which got under my helmet come from under the shield & up my legs. Try placing a hand above knee/thigh to block some wind... if this helps... consider installing fangs.
OP here, I have them on my 14 King I never take them off.
My wind problem with my LRS shield is the wind comes over the top and hits me just above my forehead. I can feel the wind with out my helmet but it's a smooth wind, that don't bother me at all, but when my helmet is on it pushes my head around.
I like that dark look with out the metal strips the wind splitter has. I was thinking that vent might help.
I can understand a tall guy it may not work well, but I'm a bit on the short side at 5'9".

Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Thor183
Advanced

It's good for blocking some road debris and decreasing the bugs on your face. You will always need that vent left open and just adjust it slightly to reduce the the head buffeting. It's okay but not like riding with a full fairing bike.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

If any of you guys are interested, I have a 17" Clearveiw with the 5 position mail box and brackets for sale at a great price...PM if interested.