Sponsored by:

Rear tire wear bars and dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:41 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Rear tire wear bars and dealer rant

I always replace my tires "too soon". My rear tire was almost down to the wear bars and I had a 1000 mile trip to WV to ride with some friends. Judging from how the tire has been wearing I decided to change the tire after returning from the ride. I'd already ordered new Michelin Commander 2s and they were waiting at my indy shop. If I had been riding solo I'm sure I would have made the trip fine but my wife was with me. That last bit of the tire disappeared fast. About 80 miles in to the return trip, or 700 total trip miles, I was pulling into Triple S Harley in Morgantown WV. I got there at 9:57AM on Sunday, they opened at 10:00, my bike was being rolled into the shop by 10:10. One hour later and $425.00 (the price my 2 new Michelins will cost mounted and balanced) lighter I was back on the road. Lesson in the cost of poor judgement learned.

The folks at the dealer were great. They fed us breakfast and coffee and had comfy couches to lounge on. I even bought a T-shirt. Last night I pulled the bags off to remove the wheels so I can have my Michelin's mounted today (I am going to store the new rear Dunlop for later use) and the right rear muffler hanger is missing. Apparently the "technician" (and I use the term loosely) failed to reinstall the bolts. I assume the bracket itself vibrated out of the rubber isolator and went bouncing along I-70 somewhere. Fortunately the muffler didn't go bouncing down the road. I got on the phone to the dealer and they are mailing me out a new bracket and bolts. More reinforcement for my aversion to having a dealer service department do anything on my bike.

Last edited by rwven; 05-24-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:18 AM
RebelBugler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This apparently happens all too frequently when replacing the rear tire. Reinstalling and or re tightening the bolts isn't exactly rocket science. A friend of mine had a similar experience at a Maryland HD dealership, noticing that his right rear muffler was hanging precariously after he arrived home. He called the dealership and told them to pick up his bike, fix it and transport it back.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,007 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Well with the exception of cost, which is the norm at a dealership for a rear tire, they seem to have done the right thing by you. One hour on a Sunday for a rear tire, with no appointment, I will take that all day long. And it sucks about the bracket but them mailing you a replacement is pretty stand up as well. Of course better it was tightened properly, but overall it seems to me like they did alright.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Well with the exception of cost, which is the norm at a dealership for a rear tire, they seem to have done the right thing by you. One hour on a Sunday for a rear tire, with no appointment, I will take that all day long. And it sucks about the bracket but them mailing you a replacement is pretty stand up as well. Of course better it was tightened properly, but overall it seems to me like they did alright.
As rants go mine was pretty mild. I was not at all surprised by the cost, it was actually less than I was fearing based on reports of some other's experiences. I'm more disappointed than upset because everything else about the experience was great. And yes, they are making it right. And they should be.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

The poor tech probably just got in from an all nighter drinking and chasing poontang!! LOL

Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
The poor tech probably just got in from an all nighter drinking and chasing poontang!! LOL