CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks, I'll update mine

Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

Well I rode all day yesterday and played with the nav system. So far I have seen no difference from the previous version other than roads that were built in the last few years are now showing up.
I will keep playing and checking different things.

The following users liked this post:
RandyJK (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by russ33541
Well I rode all day yesterday and played with the nav system. So far I have seen no difference from the previous version other than roads that were built in the last few years are now showing up. I will keep playing and checking different things.
The updated maps don't affect features or functionality at all. The only thing that should change is roads that have been added changed etc.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by russ33541
Well I rode all day yesterday and played with the nav system. So far I have seen no difference from the previous version other than roads that were built in the last few years are now showing up.
To be fair, that is all a "map update" does.

It is only an updated map, and no other functions will change.
New roads built since the last update will show up, old roads that no longer exist are removed.

Pull out an old paper map and compare it to one from today and look at the differences.
GPS maps are no different.

Each user will have to determine if the cost to update is worth it to them.

Some areas of the country don't seem to have as many road changes as others, so to some its hard to justify the cost.

I bought a "lifetime" update for the Garmin I use in my truck a few years ago.
This is an older unit that didn't include the free lifetime updates.
I update the map about once a year.

So far, I haven't had the need to update the HD navigation yet.
It is weird sometimes riding down a new road, and have the GPS map show you riding in the field and the old road showing up a slight distance away.

Edit: Roadie13 beat me to it

Old 02-06-2017, 07:02 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TOFTS
At the price they want Ill just keep using google maps bluetoothed through the audio
If all you care about is A-B as fast as possible, and have continuous internet coverage on your phone, plus unlimited data, then that should work just fine.

I like to have my routes set up in advance and exactly the way I want to go, instead of A-B the fastest, so being able to use waypoints to lock in my route is very important. Having recent maps due to construction is a bonus, if nothing else so the b87th in my ear will quit recalculating, hahahaha.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

If you actually tour,, planning cross country trips, ridding to unfamiliar areas etc. and your maps are > 3 years old, then an update is probably worth it, as long as it is a current 16/17 update, but for my type of riding i'll just use the 3, 2 remaining, free updates because i get them, not because i need them.

For some reason I like the google maps on my iphone when in my cars/truck, that have NAV, better than the built in Nav presentation.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 PM
benningtonr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loaded the new maps around the middle of Jan, I have had no issues. While loading on the bike I walked away and let it do it's thing, came back a hour or so later and it was all done. Mine also downloaded the first time I tried. There are more folks accessing the new maps now so that might be why it was so slow.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:24 PM
kepros
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Important Nav Update

I am hitting the issue others have described with "Error: NavSync_NoNavContent" when trying to apply an "important" Nav update. A little leary of moving on to a map update when this small update doesn't seem to work.
  1. Add fingerprint to USB from bike
  2. Put USB in computer and open Naviextras
  3. Am told there is an "important update"
  4. Naviextras installs update to USB
  5. Put USB back in bike....always results in "Authenticating" followed by "Error: NavSync_NoNavContent"

Did others skip this "important" update and just go to downloading and updating an actual map?

Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Its not just the maps that are important to me. The POI's are updated as well. I use this often. It's nice to have more current info.

Took me 2 tries for the download.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So I have a question...

My wife and I both ride (she has a '14 tri-glide ultra, I have a '15 SGS), both have the Infotainment system with the GPS- if we purchased one copy would we be able to install on BOTH systems? Or is this some kind or license keyed thing?

The following users liked this post:
Caidly (02-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Bought and intalled new maps