Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Klock Werks 8.5" first week review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Klock Werks 8.5" first week review.

After a week of riding with the Klock Werks 8.5" flare in dark tint I am sold! I installed it and took a ride with it and the fangs installed and the protection was great, to great as there was just not enough airflow in the Texas Heat. I removed the fangs (fork mounted wind deflectors) and the airflow improved and the buffeting was still in control. On the hwy at 80mph the KW shield works fantastic and I'm able to wear a normal pair or Oakley shades without them shaking or vibrating 90% of the time. I noticed if I'm riding into a stiff headwind there is some turbulence that comes and goes but even then the glasses are much better than with my 7" LRS shield alone. And with the fangs removed I got the airflow back on my lower legs so the temps are cooler. Don't get me wrong the fangs work great and the increased temp was not unbearable but I could not get over the look and missed the airflow that I had become accustom to. I'm 6' with my boots on and I can see over the top of the 8.5" shield with no problem. If you look thru the top 3" there is distortion because of the curve but I knew this going in and I don't find it to be a problem. The shield does not shake at hwy speeds but there is some vibration at the top when your off the throttle coming to a stop around town but again I don't find it distracting at all. The 7" LRS was worlds better than the stock shield but I should have went with the 8" or 9" to start with and it might have given me the same results but since I was ordering a new shield I wanted to try the flare/wind splitter style shield and new I wanted to stay with a dark tint for the look. Just thought I would put this out here in case someone else was on the fence about this shield.

Last edited by Webo; 07-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Then fangs ya got... they won't work on an FLHTK, correct?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

I'm not real sure it they would work on the FLHTK but I sold my pair on here yesterday. Shipped them out to WI and they should be there Monday.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM
BlackTez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Webo;13032555]After a week of riding with the Klock Werks 8.5" flare in dark tint I am sold! I installed it and took a ride with it and the fangs installed and the protection was great, to great as there was just not enough airflow in the Texas Heat. I removed the fangs (fork mounted wind deflectors) and the airflow improved and the buffeting was still in control. On the hwy at 80mph the KW shield works fantastic and I'm able to wear a normal pair or Oakley shades without them shaking or vibrating 90% of the time. I noticed if I'm riding into a stiff headwind there is some turbulence that comes and goes but even then the glasses are much better than with my 7" LRS shield alone. And with the fangs removed I got the airflow back on my lower legs so the temps are cooler. Don't get me wrong the fangs work great and the increased temp was not unbearable but I could not get over the look and missed the airflow that I had become accustom to. I'm 6' with my boots on and I can see over the top of the 8.5" shield with no problem. If you look thru the top 3" there is distortion because of the curve but I knew this going in and I don't find it to be a problem. The shield does not shake at hwy speeds but there is some vibration at the top when your off the throttle coming to a stop around town but again I don't find it distracting at all. The 7" LRS was worlds better than the stock shield but I should have went with the 8" or 9" to start with and it might have given me the same results but since I was ordering a new shield I wanted to try the flare/wind splitter style shield and new I wanted to stay with a dark tint for the look. Just thought I would put this out here in case someone else was on the fence about this shield.[/QUOTE

Is there a different part number for the 8.5" KW shields for 2014's models...where did you wind up ordering from?

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I have a 8.5" Klock Werks, I do not like it. I am replacing it with an LRS 9". The KW is ok but as posted above it does vibrate, it is thin, and straches easy. I only look thru the sheild to see traffic or road condiotns ahead, but the distrotion is quite bad. It is like being on acid, maybe a good thing. Overall it does a good job of defecting the wind up and over the rider. It is a good sheild, but I want to try the LRS.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM
BlackTez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD for KW

I have the Harley Davidson 7.5 smoked Wind Splitter Windshield that I have for sale locally, looking to buy or trade for a 8.5 Klock Werks. The HD one would work if it was just a tad taller..im 5'11".

Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

I ordered mine straight from Klock Werks at Custombaggers.com. It was pricey compaired to the LRS that I have but I wanted to give it a try. I even put the 7" LRS back on the bike for one 200 mile ride and as soon as I got back home I pulled the LRS off and put the Klock Werks right back on! Now a 9" LRS might work just as good or better than the 8.5" KW but I have only tried the 7" LRS and I can tell you the 8.5" KW is considerable better than the 7" LRS at reducing the buffetting that causes your glasses to shake.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

You tall guys just gotta cut your feet off and get shorter then the 7.5 would be fine. I know cause i'm 5.9 give or take 1/2 inch on how im feeling for the day body sore wise.

Batman

Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in love with mine. 6' tall and the 8.5" is perfect...changed the ride 100%.
a 6.5" should be mandatory from the factory, that OE one is an absolute joke.