Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic throwing code after removing tourpac

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Bam15012
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ultra Classic throwing code after removing tourpac

I put the docking kit, tour-pak mounting rack and saddlebag run/brake/turn light kit on my '14 FLHTCU. I took a road trip with the tour-pak attached everything was normal.

When I got home I removed the tour-pak and ran only the fender brake and saddlebag turn signals. When using the turn signal without the tour-pak the turn signal indicator blinks at double speed.

I used the Fuelpak too read and clear the codes. The DTS codes say "open left turn signal" and "open right turn signal". Why am I getting these codes when the Saddlebag run/brake/turn lights replace the tour-pak lights?

Thanks,
Bam

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean the codes and try running the hazards for 20 seconds or so and see if it returns.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bam15012
I put the docking kit, tour-pak mounting rack and saddlebag run/brake/turn light kit on my '14 FLHTCU. I took a road trip with the tour-pak attached everything was normal.

When I got home I removed the tour-pak and ran only the fender brake and saddlebag turn signals. When using the turn signal without the tour-pak the turn signal indicator blinks at double speed.

I used the Fuelpak too read and clear the codes. The DTS codes say "open left turn signal" and "open right turn signal". Why am I getting these codes when the Saddlebag run/brake/turn lights replace the tour-pak lights?

Thanks,
Bam

same issues i am experiencing, see my post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ode-issue.html

Have done all the suggested fix, still the dash right turn indicator still flashes at twice the speed.

What's so weird is:

1. Happens only on the right turn signal
2. Only the dash right turn indicator double flashes, but both front & back flashes normally
3. When tour pack is installed all works normally, no issues

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

There was a post not too long ago about someone that had installed these lights and had issues (don't recall the specific problem) that couldn't be explained other than the module must be bad. He returned it for another one and sure enough - bad module straight out of the box.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

This appears to be a common problem with those that have removed the tourpak and added the Harley saddlebag lights for turnsignals. It's a HARLEY problem. Harley should have added the proper resistance to the connection and they did not. Your system thinks a bulb is burnt out hence the fast dash flash. Mine does it too. The turn signals themselves flash normally so it's not a safety issue, simply an annoyance. When I put my Custom Dynamic Ringz in the front turn signals it did that but I was able to fix it by putting the flashers on for a few minutes. That fix does NOT work with the Harley lights because Harley failed to add the resistance necessary to fix it like CD did when they designed their lights. I talked to CD and a load equalizer will not do the job on this issue, I suggest you just get used to the fast dash flash like I did.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing here. When I installed the kit originally, the turn signals were not working consistently and I had the double speed signals on the dash. Local dealer swapped out the module for me and that fixed the signals, but the indictors still flash double speed when the T/P is removed. As stated earlier, not a safety issue, so no biggie to me.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an FYI...

When I made my tour pac quick detach, I didn't use the MoCo's complete quick detach kit, I made my mine out of parts and then added a lollipop turn signal bar from an 09 RK, plugged the wiring right into the sockets under the rear brake plate light lens. No double flash or codes.
But, I did notice some codes from the radio, turns out when you disconnect the rear speakers, the radio throws codes. Tech said it was not a problem or big deal.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to do a BCM replacement procedure to get rid of the flashing fast on your dash.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cfreeze
You have to do a BCM replacement procedure to get rid of the flashing fast on your dash.
What does that entail?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cfreeze
I'm not disagreeing, but curious where you got that information?

When I removed the tour pac lighting connection, I started the bike and hit a turn signal. My dash indicator flashed 2 x the normal rate. After I installed the rear lollipop connections the dash indicators and front and rear bulbs flashed normally.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic throwing code after removing tourpac