Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

road king primary oil level

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM
RoadKingon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king primary oil level

Okay - so if I drained the primary on a 2004 stock road king while the bike is on the kickstand (about 1 quart came out), replace the magnetic plug and refill the primary case I found that it took 2 quarts of oil to refil back to the recommended level on the chiltons manual (edge of clutch ring as seen in the clutch cover when the bike is held upright.

HD manual and many sources say it should be 32 ounce (1 quart)

it took 2 full quarts (64 ounces) to refill the primary to the right mark.

WTF? could draining on the jiffystand cause be the explanation? The engine ran quiet and smooth once refilled to the marked level, probably the best sounding it's been. smoother shifting too.

Are shops underfilling bikes that only add the 1 quart?

Thanks,
Tony

Old 04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Default RE: road king primary oil level

Tony, one qt. is correct for a bagger. Two qts. should cause clutch drag and is definitely too much. The oil is used to cool the clutch plates and lubricate the primary chain. This is done by "splash" method and I can't even guess the effect of two qts.

When Harley was having complaints on some models about the clutch being clunky , no matter how well adjusted, the changed the primary oil level to 26oz, instead of a quart to eliminate the drag.

I definitely would drop the level to one quart if I were you. JMHO.

EZ

Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Follow the manual......if it says 1 quart you my be able to go 34 oz but 64 is way out there. Call your dealer if you need to confirm or PM Shovelhead Bob. He will know the real answer.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RoadKingon

Okay - so if I drained the primary on a 2004 stock road king while the bike is on the kickstand (about 1 quart came out), replace the magnetic plug and refill the primary case I found that it took 2 quarts of oil to refil back to the recommended level on the chiltons manual (edge of clutch ring as seen in the clutch cover when the bike is held upright.

HD manual and many sources say it should be 32 ounce (1 quart)

it took 2 full quarts (64 ounces) to refill the primary to the right mark.

WTF? could draining on the jiffystand cause be the explanation? The engine ran quiet and smooth once refilled to the marked level, probably the best sounding it's been. smoother shifting too.

Are shops underfilling bikes that only add the 1 quart?

Thanks,
Tony
With the bike level, one quartof primary fluid should fill it to the recommended level.

Personnally, I don't remove the clutch inspection cover (derby cover) unless I'm going to adjust the clutch.

Normally, I just remove the Primary Chain Inspection cover and Drain Plug, let the old fluid drain out, check the tension on the primary chain, install the drain plug, add a quart of primary fluid, and re-install the Primary Chain Inspection cover. I find that adding the fresh primary fluid is easier via the Primary Chain Inspection hole than trying to pour it into the Clutch Inspection Cover hole.

Are you sure that your bike was level both side-to-side and front-to-rear? It can be difficult tosee the fluid level without a good flashlight because the clutch assemble is so close to the primary cover.

JMHO