Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

The Correct Cam for No-Ping Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Stoood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The Correct Cam for No-Ping Operation?

I'm an old Harley rider new to the Panhead thread. A member suggested I start a new thread on Cams, hope to see some good input. I just picked up a first year '65 Electraglide Pan in very good condition, touch the starter button and she purrs. High miles, but it sounds tight. My freind has 42,000 on his '64, never been torn down. I'm freshening up the top end, using Jims big axel tappets with USA made Hydraulics. I found a place called Retro-Cycle that claims to have the old Andrews "F" grind on hand (an "A" grind, with 5 degree retarded timing for no-ping operation, timing is 16/48 in, 48/16 exhaust w/ .450 lift, or .470 in a Pan). There is also an "A2" grind that Andrews supposedly still makes, 19/43 intake, 242 duration, 0.470 lift. As I am leery that both may be one of the Chinese made duplicates (like Sifton is now selling), I want to use a "Made in USA" Lienweber cam (also because of Lienweber's fast ramps and their signature "Broad Torque" curve, thus their Lobes "Square" appearance). Lienweber's "L1" has 18.5/49 intake timing @ .053 lift, (exhaust is the reciprocal of this). Duration is 247.5 degrees, a good 15 degrees broader than stock, w/ an overlap of only 34 deg. It has 0.439 lift in a Pan with the 1.5 to 1 ratio rockers (stock lift is 0.410, I think). The L1 looks to be a nice bolt-in, no need for heavy springs or head mods. "Good low and mid-range power". With the steep ramps, I figured the Jim's big axle tappets would be a must. Their website recommends them, or "Velva Touch" lifters. As the old saying goes, "One step milder for Panheads", due to their higher rocker ratio; I want to go with a lower lift cam, steep ramps, & a bit more duration. -Would this cam work well with stock 8.5 to 1 compression, or would 10 to 1 pistons be needed to accomodate the cam's longer duration? I have a set of new 10 to ones available for $125, but I'd rather stay w/ the stock 8.5 to one pistons. My goal is to operate on 91 octane pump gas without ping, and wake up the motor a bit. It has an oil cooler, (a must, as the '64 pings in warm weather, even w/ 91 octane, no AL fuel). It also has the disc brake conversion, & the wider swingarm, rides very nice. I have new Paughco 2 into 1 into 2 original type duals, with a set of the original style 33 inch Fishtail mufflers, and an S&S Carb. The tranny shifts smooth, feels like it may have the 2.660 low gear installed, no clunk. The old Gent that had it before me RODE it. Thanks in advance, all advice is kindly welcomed. This could be a valuable discussion for anyone wanting to better understand the physics of camshafts. Maybe we could track Panhead cam/carb/exhaust on a spreadsheet, if there's enough interest.
Thanks, Stoood