Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Oil pan and cam housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil pan and cam housing

Ok, this might sound dumb but I looked through my maintenance manual and cannot find what the following two hex head threaded inserts are -

Got a 2015 Limited Low - Next to the oil drain plug is one of the threaded inserts. On the cam housing, under the bike, just forward of the oil drain plug is another threaded hex head insert.

They both look like additional drain holes for their area. Would that be correct?

Thanks,

Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

It is routine for manufacturers to drill holes (and add features) for stuff that isn't included on every model. It is cheaper to do that than deliberately miss them out on some units. If there is nothing there on your bike, then there is nothing to worry about! There are quite probably other features on your bike that aren't used for your model. For your amusement you can use one of the on-line parts websites to look at other models, to see if you can spot which ones use those features!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Morning, Thank you GR - More information to make me dangerous... This link is very helpful. Have a great day...

Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

It's a beautiful afternoon here and I am tinkering on my Sporty in the sun!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by rinja64
Ok, this might sound dumb but I looked through my maintenance manual and cannot find what the following two hex head threaded inserts are -

Got a 2015 Limited Low - Next to the oil drain plug is one of the threaded inserts. On the cam housing, under the bike, just forward of the oil drain plug is another threaded hex head insert.

They both look like additional drain holes for their area. Would that be correct?

Thanks,
The hex head threaded insert next to the oil drain plug is the location for an oil temperature gauge sensor. The insert under the bike is an opening into the crank case sump to drain the sump. The only reason to remove the case plug is in the event you believe the motor is "sumping", you can drain the sump to confirm if sumping is an issue. Sumping can be the result of an improperly aligned or performing oil pump or the seal between the oil pump spigot and the case is bad. Either of these conditions can result in the pump failing to "scavenge" oil from the sump which causes the crank case to fill. When this occurs performance drops off, motor heats up because the crank wheels are fighting the resistance of an oil filled sump; like you trying to run in waist deep water.

Probably too much information but one thing sort of leads to another; you probably would have followed up with "what is sumping"; so just saving us both some time.