Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

starter grinds

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM
el loco rico
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter grinds

I am having problems with my starter it grinds a lot . not every time but a couple times a week or 1 out of 50 times . some one said it could be my primary chain adjuster causing the problem . before I rebuild the gears in starter I thought I would ask if anyone has run across this .

Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,534 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Well, we know the bike is not a Knucklehead, because they did not have electric starters...

What year and model bike?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 AM
el loco rico
Intermediate

Its an 07 Roadking stock . With about 40k when it started grinding .

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
jrpub2002
Intermediate
Angry Starter Repair

Generally, in most cases, even with 40K miles, its the starter and not the primary components. It can be a worn starter bearing in the inner primary case. Could be the starter gear too had grinded up one or two stripped or broken teeth. But, this can happen with a weak battery too so make sure you have load tested your battery or go buy a new one (if you don't mind replacing it). If this is just an occasional problem I would not worry about it as the gear is dead-centering on the clutch drive gear teeth. As for the primary being too tight, yes, this can cause the starter gear to fail to rock the gears into mesh. Don't let the starter gear grind as that makes it worse. Put the bike in first gear, with engine off, move the bike a few inches and let out the clutch and this will relocate the gears so they will engage. If the starter still grinds? Just loosen the primary chain and watch it and see what develops. If you have an auto chain adjuster you can install and aftermarket manual chain adjuster as the auto's are over-tightening the primary system components and damaging them. That auto adjuster keeps tightening the chain, never loosening it. It is a problem and a defect.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpub2002
Generally, in most cases, even with 40K miles, its the starter and not the primary components. It can be a worn starter bearing in the inner primary case. Could be the starter gear too had grinded up one or two stripped or broken teeth. But, this can happen with a weak battery too so make sure you have load tested your battery or go buy a new one (if you don't mind replacing it). If this is just an occasional problem I would not worry about it as the gear is dead-centering on the clutch drive gear teeth. As for the primary being too tight, yes, this can cause the starter gear to fail to rock the gears into mesh. Don't let the starter gear grind as that makes it worse. Put the bike in first gear, with engine off, move the bike a few inches and let out the clutch and this will relocate the gears so they will engage. If the starter still grinds? Just loosen the primary chain and watch it and see what develops. If you have an auto chain adjuster you can install and aftermarket manual chain adjuster as the auto's are over-tightening the primary system components and damaging them. That auto adjuster keeps tightening the chain, never loosening it. It is a problem and a defect.
Good info... Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suspect the starter clutch. When they start slipping it causes a gawd awful grinding noise. A kit is worth about $125 and can be put in without removing the primary. As someone will likely mention - disconnect the battery when working on the starter.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpub2002
Generally, in most cases, even with 40K miles, its the starter and not the primary components. It can be a worn starter bearing in the inner primary case.
No starter bearings in the primary on a 07 bike. Good info otherwise.