Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Cross Country 2015

I recently made arrangements to ship my ultra limited to San Francisco to ride back home to coastal Mass. I'm flying into San Francisco June 6th and arrive nice and early. I've planned on doing (primarily) RT 50, with some veering off to avoid some cities/traffic. I am traveling at this time, because it's what is best for my family. I realize there are many MT passes to cross out west and wonder if I should expect to hit any snow. I'd like to here from folks who have traveled RT 50 in early June. I'll have a bunch of other questions as time goes on. Here's a pic of my new 2015 ultra limited that I'll be traveling on. It will be interesting to see the difference between my 2010 and 2015 limited. Thanks! Dave

Attached Thumbnails Cross Country 2015-img_2527.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you stay on 50 you are only going to have mountain riding for a little bit in Colorado. On 50 there will be one mountain pass, Monarch 11,000+ to cross. If you get off of 50 anywhere in the Colorado Rockies you are going to encounter mountain roads and high elevations. In early June you could run into snow anywhere in the higher elevations, and it is still going to be cold high up. Need to have clothing that will layer. I was to the top of Pikes Peak last year in August coming back from Sturgis and it was in the low 30's at the top.

Bill

Old 01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

On Route 50 in California you won't have any problem with it snowing in early June. You will go over Echo Summit near Lake Tahoe. There may be snow on the mountains around you but it won't be snowing.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:46 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by billnourse
If you stay on 50 you are only going to have mountain riding for a little bit in Colorado. On 50 there will be one mountain pass, Monarch 11,000+ to cross. If you get off of 50 anywhere in the Colorado Rockies you are going to encounter mountain roads and high elevations. In early June you could run into snow anywhere in the higher elevations, and it is still going to be cold high up. Need to have clothing that will layer. I was to the top of Pikes Peak last year in August coming back from Sturgis and it was in the low 30's at the top.

Bill
I guess I thought there were a lot more mountain passes than that. The cold doesn't concern me so much, because I have Gerbings heated gear. Just don't want snow!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

You will still have a little riding in the mountains, just nothing real high (10,000+) except Monarch Pass just east of Gunnison. Should you go a little south of Gunnison to Lake City and South Fork you are going to be in the high mountains for 60 or so miles. If you go north to Leadville or Aspen you will get high again.

With the route you have chosen, Highway 50, you should be good, but this route is no going to be as scenic as some others you could do.

Bill

Old 01-19-2015, 03:35 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by billnourse
You will still have a little riding in the mountains, just nothing real high (10,000+) except Monarch Pass just east of Gunnison. Should you go a little south of Gunnison to Lake City and South Fork you are going to be in the high mountains for 60 or so miles. If you go north to Leadville or Aspen you will get high again.

With the route you have chosen, Highway 50, you should be good, but this route is no going to be as scenic as some others you could do.

Bill
Thanks Bill...appreciate the info. Truth-be-told, I'm not a big fan of heights/drop-offs(mountains/bridges), but I've been trying to face these fears as much as I can without being stupid. I've got a wife and young kids after all. I've heard of the Million Dollar Highway and I've considered veering off of Rt 50 - 550 to Durango - 160 to Monte Vista - 285 N back to Rt 50. Not sure if the MDH is such a good idea for someone skiddish with heights? I hear it's on the narrow side at parts and no guardrails. In the past, I was a little worried about Going to the Sun Road(MT) and Sitegreaves Pass(AZ), but these weren't too bad. If I did the above, however, I would bypass Monarch Pass.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So we are looking to sponsor a few riders who are traveling the farthest and most importantly the best possible route to Daytona Bike Week. We are looking for riders that are making stops at some amazing places, bars, destinations, attractions, etc.

We will provide you with a full LRS ( www.longrideshields.com ) sponosrship, go pros, and any else that may be needed.

The point of this is for us to create a Video blog / stor about the road to Daytona Bike week..

If you have any other questions please contact us at anytime

Kristian Walters
Kristian@qualityplastics.com

www.longrideshields.com

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Cant really help you on the question you asked, but I would be interested in your arrangements to ship your bike. Who did you contact? How much? etc.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:03 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Federal Transport. Coast to coast $715.00. Used them for same last year(same price). They did well except for someone using scotch tape to my antennas to the gas tank. Contact name/# is Barb/800-747-4100 x 2219

Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
Thanks Bill...appreciate the info. Truth-be-told, I'm not a big fan of heights/drop-offs(mountains/bridges), but I've been trying to face these fears as much as I can without being stupid. I've got a wife and young kids after all. I've heard of the Million Dollar Highway and I've considered veering off of Rt 50 - 550 to Durango - 160 to Monte Vista - 285 N back to Rt 50. Not sure if the MDH is such a good idea for someone skiddish with heights? I hear it's on the narrow side at parts and no guardrails. In the past, I was a little worried about Going to the Sun Road(MT) and Sitegreaves Pass(AZ), but these weren't too bad. If I did the above, however, I would bypass Monarch Pass.
If you do this route you are going to get a bunch of 10,000+ ft. passes and only miss Monarch. Molas Pass, Coal Bank Pass, Red Mountain Pass on the MDH. Between Durango and Monte Vista you are going to go over Wolf Creek Pass. This would b a great route. MDH is a bit challenging. Just take it easy and don't over ride your comfort level. Wolf Creek is an easier pass with mostly easy sweepers and mostly 3 or 4 lane. If you have done Going to the Sun and Sitegraves you probably won't have an issue with this route. Sitegraves is damn narrow and crooked, just not as high and the last time I was over it there was sand everywhere.

After you leave Salida going to Canyon City you will go by Royal Gorge. This is worth a stop and a ride across the suspension bridge. If you happen to do all this, you are probably going to have your fears in check or be a bowl of jelly.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Quick Reply: Cross Country 2015