Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

texas 3 sisters question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Well it's raining pretty much from east tx to the Atlantic and south Louisiana is about flooded, I'm sick of this rain and the 3 sisters look to be nice and dry. Thinking of heading that way this weekend. Thanks for your info and routs.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Well it's raining pretty much from east tx to the Atlantic and south Louisiana is about flooded, I'm sick of this rain and the 3 sisters look to be nice and dry. Thinking of heading that way this weekend. Thanks for your info and routs.
Keep a close watch on the weather. I have been caught on 336 headed back to Bandera during a heavy rain. Those roads a no joke in foul weather- wet roads, tight curves, and limited visibility due to rain and a fogging visor. A ride that should have taken 1.5 hours (tops) ended up being 3+ hours in the worst conditions possible. That was the only time I had ever been concerned about my safety while out riding around and I have been in some really bad weather before (think tornadoes and 50 mph blowing rain-but in a town type environment).

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

looks like I need to make another trip to TX. I never been on those roads

Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie09
Keep a close watch on the weather. I have been caught on 336 headed back to Bandera during a heavy rain. Those roads a no joke in foul weather- wet roads, tight curves, and limited visibility due to rain and a fogging visor. A ride that should have taken 1.5 hours (tops) ended up being 3+ hours in the worst conditions possible. That was the only time I had ever been concerned about my safety while out riding around and I have been in some really bad weather before (think tornadoes and 50 mph blowing rain-but in a town type environment).
I know what you mean, some roads when there wet just get my attention and other roads feel more stable. Thanks for the heads up. My wife don't want to go and in turn don't want me to go. I'll see the sisters one day :-)

Old 04-21-2015, 03:26 PM
daveblank
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrbill
The 3 Sisters are a nice ride but the road between Leaky/Vanderpool/Medina is better in my opinion.

Yes, 337 between Medina & Leakey was with out a doubt the best of the 3 sisters.

Also, all I hear is rave reviews about the BBQ @ the Hog Pen. NOT WORTH IT. Dude had the smoker going & it smelled good. I stopped & asked for a chopped beef sandwich. "No chopped, just brisket" he said, "cool, I'll take a sliced beef sandwich". I headed inside to grab a beer. Dude pulls a tupperware container out of the fridge, adds water, & then warmed it up. It wasn't sliced, It wasn't chopped, It was pot roast with BBQ sauce on it. It tasted ok, but that's not BBQ in Texas.

Last edited by daveblank; 04-21-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie09
This is the route that I rode about three weeks ago. Left on Saturday morning rode through Fredericksburg, had lunch then through Kerrville with HWY 16 to RR 337. Stopped for the evening and spent the night in Camp Wood at a nice little hotel there owned by an Army vet. Got up the next day, left when the sun was up, rode 335 and 336 then 83/39 back into Kerrville. Awesome ride. It's be nice to have three days but it's doable in two if you keep your pace up.

Last edited by Juan L; 04-21-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:52 PM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I am a native of Leakey. Grandmother is the retired County and District Clerk, and Aunt, Retired Tresurer. All still live there including Dad and many others.

I would just say please be cautions. Sisters attract cyclists (BIcycles and MOTO)from all over the country, and many have died trying. In fact, it's one of the few places I've ever seen that have a road sign showing the number of moto deaths. I would say it is not for the inexperienced rider.
Some of the most beautiful, rugged country you'll ever see. People vacation there from all over. Winter time hunting.... Warmer months tubing and riding. Many wind up retiring there.....

be safe and good luck....

Old 04-24-2015, 03:55 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

I've ridden the area many times and also hunt in the area. Be very cautious after dark on a bike. You have pigs and Axis deer in the area. I do not ride my bike after dark, period in the area unless I'm headed from Bandera back up Hwy 16 to camping area and then I'm very slow with high beams on..Also, do the speed limit on the Three Sisters and keep your eyes on the road. If you want to look at the scenery, stop and get off the bike. People go off the road (mountain passes) not looking at the road ahead of them and going into a corner.

Bandera is a must do..Cowboy capital of the world. Always live music, cold beer, and plenty of places to eat! Clint Black's brother owns Longhorn Saloon..
Arkey Blues Silver Dollar saloon, 11th Street Cowboy for more cold beer stops..

Agree with previous post about nasty BBQ at the Hog Pen..
In Camp Wood, next to Harley's Hideaway (great cold beer) is Two Fat Boys BBQ which is a lot better. OR you can go up Hwy 16 into Kerrville. I believe Cal-Bob's closed but Bill's or Buzzbee's is open..

There's also the Bent Rim Grill inside the Frio Canyon Motorcycle shop right up the street from the Hog Pen. They offer typical biker bar fare and cold beer.

At the Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool they also have food..

If you stay at the Medina highpoint (was Coyote ranch) they have food and beer also..Use to have all u can eat Catfish on Friday evenings..

Last edited by rossn2; 04-24-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:09 PM
weelbur2
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sisters

suruchi...I would also suggest the River Front Motel in Bandera...motorcycle friendly cabins across the street from the Medina River and one block from 11th Street Cowboy Bar. (http://theriverfrontmotel.com/)

also...invest $15 in a Butler "Texas Hill Country" motorcycle map (http://www.butlermaps.com/), waterproof, tearproof, topo map, with popular roads highlighted. great investment

if your adventure takes you to the Fredericksburg area, don't miss Alamo Springs Café (https://www.facebook.com/alamospringscafe), or Albert, Texas (http://alberttexas.com/)

as others have stated, when a road sign says 10 mph, it means 10 mph, if not 8 mph...especially on any of the "sisters"....locals use these roads daily.

good luck and have a safe trip