Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone Area

Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Yellowstone Area

Hey all,

Thinking of going to Yellowstone this year from Boise area. Never actually been there even though it's really close. Thinking of heading over & staying outside of Yellowstone the first day, then working on some of the rest. Would probably head over on Hwy 20 so we can go through the Craters of the Moon on the way, also avoiding the slab for more scenery. Adds 10 or 12 minutes but drops off 20 miles, so definitely seems worth it.

Wondering some things such as should we stay inside or outside the Park? Not really wanting to camp so was curious about cost difference in lodging? I found some lodging inside which of course is pricey, but stuff outside seems pricey too of course. Is it worth the increase?
How much time should we allow for the Park?
Some things to do around that area? Possibly head up around Montana area or into Coeur d'Alene before heading back?

We will have somewhere around a week total time.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Rhettm
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've stayed at the Old Faitful Inn a couple of times. It's fine for a one time thing if you've never done it. It's really old and pretty annoying really to stay in, but still, it is kinda cool. If you happen to get a ground floor room that overlooks Old Faithful, which we did, that's especially cool. Just one thing. Old Faithful doesn't stop at night and she can be a little loud. Just sayin'. The food there is pretty good and I didn't find it overly pricey, for that matter, the hotel wasn't really overpriced in my opinion either. We've never had reservations, just called the morning that we planned to arrive. Cancellations happen often and if you call early enough, you can grab those cancellations. You have to have the stomach for it, but it has always worked.

The Snow Lodge is close to the Old Faith Inn, but is much more modern. Nice hotel, and like the OFI, not overpriced (or at least it hasn't been for us in the past).

We've stayed in Jackson Hole as well. The rooms there are nice and JH is a great little town. The commute to the park isn't bad and it is beautiful, but traffic can be rough, so for us, we much preferred staying in the park.

Either way you go, it's a great place and it's hard not to have a terrific time.

Have fun.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I've only rode through the park a couple times, stopped in and saw ole faithful, other then that I didnt see much and no help there. Traffic in the park can be painful at times, not a huge deal though. But as far as after the park, I'd go east on 212 and check out cooke city and continue on and ride beartooth pass to Redlodge, one of my favourite rides. The best views of any pass I've been on.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Was there in 2016 and 2018, stayed outside the park both times. We had 5 couples both trips and we rented a house both times for a few of the days. You need to plan out what you want to do. Western part of the park stay in West Yellowstone, Eastern part stay in Cooke City( slim pickings as far as a nice place to stay) or ride over Beartooth into Red Lodge (Alpine Lodge was fantastic both years!!) Spend the night in Cody and then ride to the eastern entrance (great ride). Even if you don't plan on staying in Jackson, the ride down there with the Tetons right next to you is worth the trip. Stunning!!! And most importantly, get to the gates early and get in front of the vehichles!!!!!

Old 01-05-2019, 03:08 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 11,134 Posts

The dilemma is likely solved for you. Except for cancellations, you won’t be able to get reservations in the Park this late. We made reservations for 2 evenings in the Old Faithful lodge, 1 year in advance.

Edit: Depending upon how much time you have. I’d suggest cutting over to 26/89 at Alpine, and going north through Jackson, the Tetons, and going into the South Yellowstone Entrance.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 01-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,238 Posts

We usually stay in Cody when we go to the Yellowstone area.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Been there twice and stayed in the town of West Yellowstone both times. I thought it worked out well.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree the price of lodging in the park is high and usually required reservations a year in advance. I have never stayed in the park lodging.

I have camped at Canyon CG a couple of times. I know you are not camping, but Canyon is centrally located. I think from there two days is adequate to see the park. Do one loop one day and the other loop the next day. I usually ride one way around the loop and go back in the other direction. Pain in the rear riding through construction areas.

Cody is a pretty cool town with the Irma Hotel (I also stayed here one night), The Cody Museum, the rodeo and access to Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth. The ride from Cody to Red Lodge is great. I usually ride over, eat lunch and make the ride back to the park or back to Cody. I have camped in Cody and the ride to the park is an hour to the gate and another hour to the southern loop. The ride to the park is great as previously mentioned. I had read before, you cannot see YS from Cody. Just so much time getting there, but it can be done.

I have snowmobiled in West Yellowstone and it is just outside the park gate and maybe like ten miles or so to the loop. Probably pretty high in the summer and pretty crowded.

I just love the area. I have been four times in the last six years. Get out early. When I would get up in the park it would be 30 degrees in August. By ten o'clock, you will be in a ss t-shirt.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,886 Likes on 2,546 Posts

When we were there in 2013, we stayed in a tent in West Yellowstone, MT:

https://www.undercanvas.com/camps/ye...rogrammatic_vt

Really cool experience for two nights, restaurant on property, Three Bar Ranch, is amazing for every meal of the day. We found no traffic issues coming from West Yellowstone every morning. Actually the first night we stayed in Cody Wyoming, did some of the park on our way to West Yellowstone. Then two nights there going to the park everyday, finally hit Old Faithful with a box lunch on our way to Jackson Hole. Really amazing place, give it 2-3 days for sure.

After Jackson we went to Ketchum ID via Craters of the Moon, my wife loved that place as well. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Depending on how much time you have and how much time you want to spend in the park this could be a great ride. But I have more interest in the the ride then the park itself, from Boise I would ride to Jackson hole the first night, then go see old faithful and head to Cody Wyoming for the next night. Plenty to do in Cody Wyoming, its a fun town. I would head back to redlodge Montana from Cody Wyoming, by the way this is a awesome ride from the park to Cody Wyoming. You go over chief Joseph's... I would stop in cookcity eat lunch and head up over beartooth pass and stay the night probably in Bozeman Montana and then I would ride out for white sulphur springs Montana the old road going pass the ski hill, Bridger bowl. This is a awesome ride. From there I would work my way to Missoula Montana and then ride back down to Boise Idaho. The ride from Boise to Missoula is one of the best i have ever ridden. From white sulphur springs Montana there is two choices to make on which way to go to get to Missoula Montana. You can head to great falls up over a pass that rides past a nother ski hill and from great falls ride the back way to Missoula Montana, this is a sweat ride that will take you over some beautiful 2 lane. Or you can ride to Helena and work your way to Missoula Montana. Anyway just a sweat bike ride if you can swing it. And little worry about a place to stay at a cheaper price per night most of the way. Take a look at a map and see what the route I'm saying looks like. It's some of the best ridding you will ever get and it loops you back home.

Last edited by 5150northrider; 01-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellowstone Area