Notices
Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone Area

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,318 Posts

In West Yellowstone I stay in “Als Westward Ho” and in Cody it is “A Western Rose”. Both are Motorcycle friendly.... I prefer Cody. There’s more to do there.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
BigDogIdaho
Outstanding HDF Member

First off thanks all for your responses! Lots to mull over.

I think it would be a shame to miss Beartooth for sure.
Looks like I might not have the option of staying in the park since I decided to plan this trip so late. 6 months seemed reasonable. LOL

Still thinking things over but....

Boise to Jackson via 20/26 (350 miles, 6 hrs)

Trying to figure out which way to do Cody & Beartooth…?

5150Northrider, I think that's a good idea. Cut over towards Missoula, then head back towards Boise. I've been to CDA so skipping it should be fine.

It's somewhat difficult to figure this out with Google maps not allowing going through Yellowstone currently.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

Stay in Island Park, ID. It's only 20 or so miles from West Yellowstone, There's always the Bozeman area, but now you're and hour or so from the park. Lots of good places to eat and drink in Bozeman.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Johnny Mayday
HDF Town Crier

Originally Posted by slhanks4 View Post
Stay in Island Park, ID. It's only 20 or so miles from West Yellowstone, There's always the Bozeman area, but now you're and hour or so from the park. Lots of good places to eat and drink in Bozeman.
Agreed. If you do make it to Bozeman, you should totally check out Roost Fried Chicken. I stopped there on a road trip years ago, and I still think about it. Amazing food...

Old 01-19-2019, 10:52 AM
nibroc
Road Master

....Boseman has the only h/d shop for many miles around in Montana---keep that in mind.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Still places to stay in the Park. Kim and I just made reservations around Christmas for this summer. Prices are a little higher but we enjoy the Park.

https://ynpres1.xanterra.com/cgi-bin...0):;OLSUM9;?/#

Old 01-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Dan28
Road Master

When I went in Sep. 2017, I came up from Colorado to Jackson, WY. I stayed one night in Jackson then rode to the north west entrance to Yellowstone, that may have taken an hour or two, I don't remember. From the north west entrance, I rode up to and over Bear Tooth pass to Red Lodge. After lunch in Red Lodge, back over Bear Tooth Pass on onto Chief Joseph HWY on my way to Cody where I camped at the KOA. The next day rode from Cody to the east entrance to the park and on to Old Faithful. Had lunch near Old Faithful then retraced my steps back out of the park east and continued on my trip towards Deadwood. At times in the park I was stuck behind a lot of slow traffic, other times I was able to go at my own speed which may or may not have been over the posted limit of 45 mph.

I did very little planning on my trip, just kind of hit points I knew I wanted to hit. I've ridden some pretty cool roads in the cont. US and Bear Tooth is my favorite so far.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:12 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat View Post
Was there in 2016 and 2018, stayed outside the park both times. We had 5 couples both trips and we rented a house both times for a few of the days. You need to plan out what you want to do. Western part of the park stay in West Yellowstone, Eastern part stay in Cooke City( slim pickings as far as a nice place to stay) or ride over Beartooth into Red Lodge (Alpine Lodge was fantastic both years!!) Spend the night in Cody and then ride to the eastern entrance (great ride). Even if you don't plan on staying in Jackson, the ride down there with the Tetons right next to you is worth the trip. Stunning!!! And most importantly, get to the gates early and get in front of the vehichles!!!!!
That is what we did when we went in 2009. Thsi comment is super helpful. All i can add is: if you have time, also go to Sturgis rally! The post i quoted below shows that rooms are available during the rally. You could do a couple of days in yellowstone and spend a couple of days in sturgis. That's what we did and it was cool, loots of breathtaking landscapes along the road. Loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
Still places to stay in the Park. Kim and I just made reservations around Christmas for this summer. Prices are a little higher but we enjoy the Park.

https://ynpres1.xanterra.com/cgi-bin...0):;OLSUM9;?/#

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Eggman1
One Of The Regulars

I am a fan of google maps, but when planning some of my trips, I prefer to use mapquest. It allows up to 26 stops and doesn't care if its winter or not...unless you check the route around box.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Billman812
Senior Rider

Have stayed in;
Jackson Hole which is nice, fun town and close to Tetons NP.
Cody which is a bit of a haul to the parks.
but my fav is West Yellowstone, been here several times always at One horse a small family ran motel

Cant go wrong wherever you land, enjoy!

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: