Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Big $ savings with HOG Fly'n Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big $ savings with HOG Fly'n Ride

I've been renting Harley's in Vegas for the past several years and decided to join HOG solely for the Fly'n Ride rental program. I am renting an Electra Glide for 4 days in November and touring the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, and Zion Park.

The cost through the local Harley dealer (LVHD) is $670 for a rental from 9am on November 18 until 4pm on November 21. The cost with the HOG Fly'n Ride program is $300 - a savings of $370. National HOG membership costs $45 per year.

Just thought I would pass on this info for those of you who rent Harley's.

BigLow

Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a substantial savings

I've never rented a Harley.

Would your personal bike insurance cover it or is it included in the rental price?

Even though my bike is paid for,I still carry full coverage.
It is only $60 a year more than liability!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Bigbender
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
I've been renting Harley's in Vegas for the past several years and decided to join HOG solely for the Fly'n Ride rental program. I am renting an Electra Glide for 4 days in November and touring the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, and Zion Park.

The cost through the local Harley dealer (LVHD) is $670 for a rental from 9am on November 18 until 4pm on November 21. The cost with the HOG Fly'n Ride program is $300 - a savings of $370. National HOG membership costs $45 per year.

Just thought I would pass on this info for those of you who rent Harley's.

BigLow
Thanks for the info... I just dropped out of our group trip to Sturgis next year because I'd like to see something different like Yellowstone and other national parks west of SD. We're from the east coast and our vacation time is valuable so we don't want to spend a whole week riding freeways getting there and back. I've been considering a "fly and ride" into a location that's a center point for Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite and points in-between. It looked like Nevada or southern Idaho would be the right area. Is this your reason for starting at Vegas ?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

It's a good deal, but many places have to be reserved way in advance.

Places like Vegas can be sold out up to a year in advance depending on the week.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Things are a bit slow in Vegas...may be part of the reason rate is lower

Geico coverage transfers to rented bike for up to 30 days....I advise making sure you are well insured

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
jstage
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Rim Closed...

Hey BigLowRider, are you aware that the North Rim of The Grand Canyon visitor's center, lodging & camping are closed from Mid-October to Mid-May?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would your personal bike insurance cover it or is it included in the rental price?

Fly & Ride includes theft/repair insurance with a <gulp> $2,000 deductible. My personal motorcycle insurance also covers me for motorcycle rentals. Check with your insurance company.

I also purchase yearly travel/medical insurance from TD Bank in Canada. It only costs $72 per year. If I am injured in the USA they will stabilize me until they can fly me back to free health care in Canada.

----------

Is this your reason for starting at Vegas ?

I attend a poker convention in Vegas every November. The convention is just an excuse to go to Vegas every year to gamble and bomb around the deserts on a rented Harley.

Here is the HOG Fly & Ride page - it lists locations and dates that rental locations are open. Some locations close during the winter months.

----------

Things are a bit slow in Vegas...may be part of the reason rate is lower.

HOG rates are $100 per day. Some locations (Hawaii?) cost a bit more. One of the benefits of the HOG Fly & Ride is that they charge per night, rather than per day - you can pick up the rental at the beginning of the first rental day and return it at the end of the final rental day. My 3-day rental costs $300 ($100 per day) but I have the rental from 9am on Wednesday until 4pm on Saturday.

----------

are you aware that the North Rim of The Grand Canyon visitor's center, lodging & camping are closed from Mid-October to Mid-May?

Yes, I might skip the Grand Canyon if the weather is bad. I hear that the road to the north rim goes through some rather high elevations. I have a T-bag that I use as a carry-on for my flight. I pack my helmet, leather, gloves, and rain gear inside my T-bag and bring it on the plane with me. I'm Canadian so I am used to cold weather riding. It usually gets down to about 50 degrees at night in the deserts around Vegas in mid-November.

----------

HOG rentals have to made a month or two in advance and the bike selection is somewhat limited. I had my choice between a Road Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and one other bike that I can't remember at the moment.

I am making three major motorcycle trips this year. I did Sturgis in August and the Tail of the Dragon in September on my 2003 Low Rider and I am doing the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and southern Utah in November on a rented 2009 Road Glide. Sometimes life is good!

I am 48 years old and plan on buying a bagger for my 50th birthday. Last year I rented a Street Glide for 3 days, this year I am renting a Road Glide for 3 days, and next year I will rent an Electra Glide for 3 days. Gotta figure out what model I want to buy for my 50th!

BigLow

Last edited by BigLowRider; 10-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my insurance would cover my rental.It does co cover a rental car but not a motorcycle.I was surprised,call your insurance dude before you lay one down.