Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hocking Hills Ohio - Caveman Retreat

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hocking Hills Ohio - Caveman Retreat

For anyone headed to the Hocking Hills area south of Columbus Ohio, BEWARE of the Caveman Retreat campground. Got myself in a real bind. The campground access road is gravel, uphill with a nice curve. No big deal until you make the curve and encounter deep ruts and large rocks. NOT safe for a Harley. This is the type of road the dual sport guys (and goats) live for.

Of course by the time I saw what I was getting into, there was no way to gracefully back out of it.

Very bad situation. No cell service, no phone at the unattended office (sign said grab a spot, see you in the morning), no pay phone within walking distance. Took an hour for me and two local firemen to extricate the bike from the ruts where I dumped the bike.

Next time I walk up the hill first. And they KNEW I was bringing a motorcycle. Oh well, the SPOT road service certainly works.

No real damage......... other than looking really stupid. Beware.........

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

me and my wife stayed at a cottage in Hocking hills last fall. it was way up on a hill, and the drive was gravel and went up so steep i i had trouble walking up it.. we had to go about 40-50mph and hit the drive with speed just to get the car up there.. we thought about riding there but decided to drive instead. while there i read the log book left by all the previous guests, saw a couple entrys from riders that had to leave there harleys parked at a park down the road and walk up to the house.. other then that, it was beautiful around there.

Last edited by j1mmy; 05-26-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Just down the road from there (and I mean literally) is the Old Man's Cave Chalets. Paved roads, swimming pool, A frame cabins with back porches facing the woods and hot tubs. We were riding out there yesterday. The cell service thing is what it is. Nobody has service there. Just to the north on 664 is a great Amish restaurant in Logan, right at 664 and 33.