Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MapQuest and Garmin Nuvi 760

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MapQuest and Garmin Nuvi 760

Been trying to download routes from MapQuest onto my Garmin without any luck. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks

Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

Personally, I never download routes to my GPS, so I won't be much help. I have done it in the past, but it seems like work, which I am allergic to.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks tried that and the Garmin just goes into a loop. Wonder if I have to install a SD card.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by Tucker99
Thanks tried that and the Garmin just goes into a loop. Wonder if I have to install a SD card.
Doubt it. You might want to see if there is an update for your Garmin...

Garmin Express

Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Nuvi 760, but I have download routes to my Zumo without any problem.

After you have created your route in MapQuest make sure your GPS is connected to your computer. In MapQuest there is a "Send" button near the top right. Click on it and the dropdown contains a "Garmin GPS" button which you click on. That will open another window where you should select "Route" instead of "Waypoints", then enter a name for your route. In the "Selected Devices" box you should see your Nuvi 760 listed which you should select. Then click the "Send" button and your done with the MapQuest portion. It just takes a couple of seconds for the transfer to work.

After it says the transfer was successful, you can unplug the Nuvi from the computer. Turn it on and in a few seconds it should ask you if you want to import new data. Select yes and it will create your route on the device.

Then you should be able to select the route and navigate it. All these instructions are based on the Zumo, and if you Nuvi is route capable (it's not listed as such on Garmin's website) it should be the same.

That's all there is to it. Let me know if you have problems and I will try to help. I just returned from an 10 day trip to Colorado and I loaded a route for each day following the above procedure.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:51 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

I forgot to mention that my answer above assumes you have Garmin Communicator installed on your computer. It's software that is free on Garmin's website.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by robertwy
I'm not familiar with the Nuvi 760, but I have download routes to my Zumo without any problem.

After you have created your route in MapQuest make sure your GPS is connected to your computer. In MapQuest there is a "Send" button near the top right. Click on it and the dropdown contains a "Garmin GPS" button which you click on. That will open another window where you should select "Route" instead of "Waypoints", then enter a name for your route. In the "Selected Devices" box you should see your Nuvi 760 listed which you should select. Then click the "Send" button and your done with the MapQuest portion. It just takes a couple of seconds for the transfer to work.

After it says the transfer was successful, you can unplug the Nuvi from the computer. Turn it on and in a few seconds it should ask you if you want to import new data. Select yes and it will create your route on the device.

Then you should be able to select the route and navigate it. All these instructions are based on the Zumo, and if you Nuvi is route capable (it's not listed as such on Garmin's website) it should be the same.

That's all there is to it. Let me know if you have problems and I will try to help. I just returned from an 10 day trip to Colorado and I loaded a route for each day following the above procedure.
I've had a chance to read a little about the Nuvi 760. I don't believe it is able to accept custom routes. I know before I broke down and bought the Zumo 665 I tried loading routes on my Nuvi 3590 to no avail. It just does not accept custom routes.