Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2006 CVO Ultra sputters and stalls in afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 AM
lnadler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 CVO Ultra sputters and stalls in afternoon

Any idea as to why my bike would "hiccup" and then stall only when starting out cold, but in the afternoon only? I'm in Pittsburgh and have no problem when riding in the early morning(temp about 55), but when the engine is cold and I ride home from work at about 6 PM, it sputters and will stall if I am idling at a stoplight, unless I hit the throttle to keep it running. After about 20 minutes it runs fine. Fuel injector problem? ECM problem? Any help would be appreciated. I am planning to bring it in to the harley dealer tomorrow, but wanted to get some ideas from you.
Thanks.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had similar "odd" issues, including idles right one time and not the next, coughs on take off and then idles at almost a stall.

Might want to try running some gas additive / carb / injector cleaner and see if the issue will clear up. It's worked for me several times now.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inadler--

I had similar behavior with my '06. Finally bit the bullet and purchased a PC-V and stage 1 intake from Fuel Moto. I did however look my (then stock) exhaust over for any leaks first. Especially the rear cylinder "Y" pipe for cracks. I found nothing that could explain the behavior.

I've recently put on V&H dresser duals to complete things and the bike runs very strong.

Have you been having this issue through a few tanks of fuel? If not, perhaps bad gas? Fuel system cleaner would not be a bad place to start. I would think that if it was an ECM issue it would continue to misbehave regardless of running time.

Good luck finding the demon affecting your ride.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
lnadler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has happened with a few different tanks of fuel. Where do I find the fuel/injector cleaner? Harley dealer? Pep Boys?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
jcain
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to look for a product called "SeaFoam". It works as a fuel stabilizer but also cleans (or claims to) clean injectors of deposits. Here's a link to the product. Looks like it's available in all kinds of auto parts stores.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Hope this helps and Ride Safe!