Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel is smoking from oilcan and oilfilter? Why

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Denmark
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel is smoking from oilcan and oilfilter? Why

I have just bought an 66 flh with a 1200 shovelhead, it was bought with a issue - it runs perfect but it smoke grey/white from oil tank and oilfilter and when i drive a very short distance it seems to press oil out of the 4 bolts on the heads?

My oil pressure is fine - is it compression thats running in the crankhouse?
I have checked the bleed valve in the oil pump not sure if its closed or it opens

" border="0" class="tcattdimglink" alt="" />

Theres a lot of oil comming when driving

Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,490 Likes on 5,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Denmark
is it compression thats running in the crankhouse?

That is the most likely cause...your rings are worn and causing "blowby".
You need to do a compression test to confirm it.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:33 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

2 years ago mine was building pressure in the oil tank and smoking from the pipes.
Ringes were worn and my breather gear was worn.
Replaced that and got new rings, problem solved

Old 05-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Denmark
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds bad

Originally Posted by V_twins
2 years ago mine was building pressure in the oil tank and smoking from the pipes.
Ringes were worn and my breather gear was worn.
Replaced that and got new rings, problem solved
I bought the bike yesterday, with the issue the owner told me all problems had come after it had been set away for winter no problems last summer, and compression (driving) and starting is perfect, starts evey first time.

I was thinking i will remove the oilpump and check it, then i also will do compress test/leak, it seems wierd that it have got new oil and filter and the oil in the oilpump on one site is totally clear and in the other its black , like its not circulate.

Sorry for bad english writing

Old 05-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,490 Likes on 5,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Denmark

I was thinking i will remove the oilpump and check it, then i also will do compress test/leak, it seems wierd that it have got new oil and filter and the oil in the oilpump on one site is totally clear and in the other its black , like its not circulate.
What kind of oil filter? If you put a filter on it that has an "anti-drain-back" valve and the hoses are not hooked up correctly...no oil will flow though the filter...don't pull the oil pump just yet.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

that pump is a very old aftermarket unit - the oil return line is plugged into the oil pressure switch location on any other pump - i also believe you have a ring and or piston scuffing issue -

as for the rocker box screw end cap leaks - they have O rings and with the heat get brittle and hard and cant seal any longer -- Today we use the white nylon quad cut seals instead they work very well - i would take the top end off the cam cover off and have a good look around - if you drive it all summer you could hurt it even more sucks but you did buy a bike with an issue

Old 05-17-2015, 06:48 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,234 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
...Today we use the white nylon quad cut seals instead they work very well -,,,
Not meaning to jack the thread but can you tell me where you get these and maybe a part number?

To the OP...welcome to the Shovel world. If ya get a chance, how a bout a few pics of your new ride?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It appears to me that you have another issue. If you bought a 66, the motor appears to be a 70 or later. A 66 would have a flat gear cover and an upright circuit breaker. A 70 or later has a cone shaped gear cover and the circuit breaker is at the end of the cam shaft.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
It appears to me that you have another issue. If you bought a 66, the motor appears to be a 70 or later. A 66 would have a flat gear cover and an upright circuit breaker. A 70 or later has a cone shaped gear cover and the circuit breaker is at the end of the cam shaft.
And...The VIN should be on the Case on a '66. Certainly Not True on a Cone Motor....Post '70's have the VIN# on the Frame....

Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre

what a great spot - missed that as the pump did me in i had not seen one in 20 years - he might not get what you are getting at - you have a picture of the bikes first 2 numbers and the first 2 or 3 letters - the rest of the numbers of how many was built you can cover it up its not important

Quick Reply: Shovel is smoking from oilcan and oilfilter? Why