Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
berndog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring

So I got a main wiring harness and wiring harness to handlebar switches for my 82 fxwg,cant find a new terminal block,,whats the best way to wire this all ,the switch wires didnt have any plugs,should I use old plugs and board? they also supplieed crimp connectors,,no diagram or instructions,,same with the dash kit,,my only complaint with J& P ,never any instructions.Guess I will have to de-solder all switches and solder in new wires?pretty sure all tye old wires have tiny breaks thru them.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to assemble trouble free wiring is to solder and heat shrink. And, make dam sure if you are soldering the wires to your switches use a heat sink or you'll melt the plastic on your switches, ruining them! Everybody does it different, but I dont like chasing electrical problems so I solder everything and leave a couple inches extra in case I have to cut and resolder later.
Just my opinion!!
jim

Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
berndog
Tourer

What's a heat sink? My main concern is using the same terminal board,,and the plugs that the handlebar wiring goes into,,thinking of Doing away with that and just soldering,,no plugs???

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

With the exception of my 05 (so far), I have built my own wiring harness from scratch on all my bikes. I wouldn't recommend that for someone who hasn't done that before or has no one right beside them telling em how to do it. Now this is just my opinion, but I would hard wire nearly all connections except where you have to disconnect occasionally. When it comes to terminal lugs or connectors, I crip, then solder after sliding a small piece of shrink tubing on to cover up where the plastic on the lug melts off.
I dont use any plugs from the handlebars. I ran my wires inside the bars and soldered them to the main harness leaving about 4" of slack. Plenty of room between the tanks to bundle and tie them to the frame.
A heat sink is an alligator clip or small forceps (roach clip) that you will need to place on the switch lug as close to the plastic as you can. This absorbs most of the heat as you solder the wire on. Key word is most. You want to make sure you have a clean connection and pre tinned your wire end. Apply a very small dab of soldering flux on the terminal where you plan to connect the wire. Then use non acid core solder and a pencil iron and make sure the wire doesn't move as it cools. 3 hands work best when doing the switches! Then clean it and your work will look professional.
I've seen some that have just cut the old plugs or terminals off leaving about 3-4" of wire sticking out and resolder to that. That's probably quicker and easier.
I'ld take the time and do it right and you'll likely never have to troubleshoot your wiring!
Like I said this is how I do it. Others may have different opinions.
Good Luck!!
jim

Last edited by msgtarmor; 05-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
berndog
Tourer

Thanks,,thats some helpful words,,I want to do it right,seeing as the wires are always pinched going into the switch housings, gonna ream those out just a tad before I tackle this.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

Glad to hear that! BTW, it helps to lube the housing of the handle bar wiring as you are pullin them in. I use silicone spray on a rag and wipe it on as I'm pushin and pullin. There are often little spurs of metal inside the bars that will strip the harness cover and insulation off and you'll never know it till smoke comes outta your bars or the bike just shuts down...
You gotta pull string inside your bars already?
jim

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
berndog
Tourer

Pull string?? no i never had em goin thru bars,,thinkin of doin it though

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer

Before I get too carried away here, you are replacing yer handlebar wiring and pulling them into yer bars right??? I just want to make sure I'm not talkin oranges while yer talkin apples!!
jim

Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
berndog
Tourer

Replacing the wiring but no holes drilled. I'll wait until I get bars w holes drilled

Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Drill your own , not hard what do you think we did before they came that way ?