Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiding Wires in Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Dyna2007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiding Wires in Handlebars

Saw this in another online forum.
Seems a lot simpler and easier, any opinions???

I have run wiring inside handlebars on several bikes and although hd_rider has wrote a thorough description etc. my way is much faster, cheaper and works every bit as well.
If you have basic wiring skills such as sodering and using heat shrink tubing then you can accomplish this in a couple hours without removing your tank or wiring harness. Locate the wiring bundle attached to your handlebars...you will have one comming from each switch housing. remove to black vinyl tube they are routed through. Cut each wire in two making sure you stagger the cuts on each wire bundle. I would advise you to buy new handle bars that are designed for internal wiring. First of all your stock bars have holes drilled in them for the clips that hold your stock wire bundles...you would also have to drill holes in your old bars big enough to run the wiring through, and if you don't deburr it you are liable to short out some wires.
Once you cut the wires in half making sure you stagger each cut on both bundles...strip the ends coming from your controls, now cut some 18 gauge strips of wire...you must determine how long the wiring needs to be especially if your new bars are apes etc..just make sure that the piece you are splicing in is plenty long enough to go all the way out the bottom of your bars and will allow you room to solder it into the wires you cut in two..anyway twist the wires together making sure you slid on some heat shrink tubing....slide it back while you solder...solder the wires...slide the heat shrink over the splice....heat the heat shrink...go to the next wire and so on. I used the same color of wire for all my splices...it doesn't matter cause the color coded wire will be on both ends of the splice. Repeat these steps to connect the other end of the splices.
This is the inexpensive and easy way to do it and I have done it many times with no electrical problems what so ever.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna2007

I have run wiring inside handlebars on several bikes and although hd_rider has wrote a thorough description etc. my way is much faster, cheaper and works every bit as well.
If you have basic wiring skills such as sodering and using heat shrink tubing then you can accomplish this in a couple hours ..anyway twist the wires together making sure you slid on some heat shrink tubing....slide it back while you solder...solder the wires...slide the heat shrink over the splice....heat the heat shrink...go to the next wire and so on. I used the same color of wire for all my splices...it doesn't matter cause the color coded wire will be on both ends of the splice. Repeat these steps to connect the other end of the splices.
This is the inexpensive and easy way to do it and I have done it many times with no electrical problems what so ever.
In my opinion.... this is NOT easier and NOT less expensive.
If you have 'basic wiring skills' you should be able to dis-assemble the harness plugspull the wires through the bars & re-assemble the plugs.
Some times the wires don't need lenghtened. But when they do... cutting the wire 1 time, soldering on a length & crimping on a new pin IS easier & less expensive.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 12-27-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
In my opinion.... this is NOT easier and NOT less expensive...
+1......apparently the other online forum doesn't have guys like mud who makes write ups on **HOW TO** (LOL) .............

FXD2003Rider

Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more difficult than an easy wire extension kit. I wouldn't do it. How cheap will you go?

Last edited by jss1975snow; 12-27-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll stick with my wire extension kit, haha

Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna2007

Locate the wiring bundle attached to your handlebars...you will have one comming from each switch housing. remove to black vinyl tube they are routed through. Cut each wire in two making sure you stagger the cuts on each wire bundle.
strip the ends coming from your controls, now cut some 18 gauge strips of wire...you must determine how long the wiring needs to be just make sure that the piece you are splicing in is plenty long enough to go all the way out the bottom of your bars and will allow you room to solder it into the wires you cut in two...twist the wires together making sure you slid on some heat shrink tubing...solder the wires...slide the heat shrink over the splice....heat the heat shrink...use the same color of wire for all my splices..the color coded wire will be on both ends of the splice. Repeat
Now with all the extra wording removed...it's pretty easy..+1