Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

new FXWG 1982 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new FXWG 1982 rebuild

Hi all: well im new here and just working on my first shovelhead a FXWG 1982, i got in town here in syracuse area for $2500.00 . the guy didnt take care of it or have it in good storage. for over 4 yrs it sat under a crapy plastic wrap. they needed monie and i bought it with knowing not much about it, cuz the guy was dropped on his head when he was younger LOL i just could believe he left it out like that [:@]. so i got it took it home and in three days had it down to the frame [8D]. that was last yr, durring the winter of 06 i rebuilt the tranny with a chrome cover and new throwout bearing assembly in my hallway, i dont have a lot of room to work anywhere, i just got to much crap and no heat in my shop!!!a 10x12 shed i built out back with six bikes in it, i have little room in the cold to work so i work inside durring the winter . i needed both manuals and some parts so off to e-bay i went. got new wiring harness, used outer primary, left hand case, rotors and many other parts from all over the internet and swap meets. just took my lower end toman in bingo to replace the left hand motor case, when i get that back ill start on the motor and wait untill warmer weather so i can paint the frame and begin the rebuild that will be a great horse when i get it done. ill update with photos as this rebuild goes along. HI to all KEEP the rubber side down[8D]. see ya fxer1982

Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Default RE: new FXWG 1982 rebuild

ORIGINAL: Fxer1982

Hi all: well im new here and just working on my first shovelhead a FXWG 1982, i got in town here in syracuse area for $2500.00 . the guy didnt take care of it or have it in good storage. for over 4 yrs it sat under a crapy plastic wrap. they needed monie and i bought it with knowing not much about it, cuz the guy was dropped on his head when he was younger LOL i just could believe he left it out like that [:@]. so i got it took it home and in three days had it down to the frame [8D]. that was last yr, durring the winter of 06 i rebuilt the tranny with a chrome cover and new throwout bearing assembly in my hallway, i dont have a lot of room to work anywhere, i just got to much crap and no heat in my shop!!!a 10x12 shed i built out back with six bikes in it, i have little room in the cold to work so i work inside durring the winter . i needed both manuals and some parts so off to e-bay i went. got new wiring harness, used outer primary, left hand case, rotors and many other parts from all over the internet and swap meets. just took my lower end toman in bingo to replace the left hand motor case, when i get that back ill start on the motor and wait untill warmer weather so i can paint the frame and begin the rebuild that will be a great horse when i get it done. ill update with photos as this rebuild goes along. HI to all KEEP the rubber side down[8D]. see ya fxer1982
Fxer1982

"Hi all: well im new here and just working on my first shovelhead a FXWG 1982, i got in town here in syracuse area for $2500.00 . the guy didnt take care of it or have it in good storage. for over 4 yrs it sat under a crapy plastic wrap. they needed monie and i bought it with knowing not much about it, cuz the guy was dropped on his head when he was younger LOL i just could believe he left it out like that [:@]."

First welcome to the forum, yeah I can’t understand people who leave a bike outside, did you look into the gas tank ? no doubt the jerk didn’t fill it up to the brim, most likely all kinds of rush from the condensation, you know odds have it he didn’t the last time it ran, run it with the petcock close to use most of the gas in the carb ! talk about varnish ! but now a days with that crap they call gas you really can’t get away with topping off the gas tank and stop rust, because of the ethanol, I hear it turns lots into water, boaters were the first to see this, I got a generator the plan was to take out the ethanol gas in it (end of last year) but didn’t, I do it this spring, I won’t even start it with it in it, I did run it dry to the carb. That’s something I guess.

“ so i got it took it home and in three days had it down to the frame [8D] . that was last yr, durring the winter of 06 i rebuilt the tranny with a chrome cover and new throwout bearing assembly in my hallway, i dont have a lot of room to work anywhere, i just got to much crap and no heat in my shop!!!a 10x12 shed i built out back with six bikes in it, i have little room in the cold to work so i work inside durring the winter . i needed both manuals and some parts so off to e-bay i went. got new wiring harness, used outer primary, left hand case, rotors and many other parts from all over the internet and swap meets. just took my lower end to man in bingo to replace the left hand [URL=https://www.hdforums.com/l%20][font="times new roman"][size=3]motor[/s

Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate

yea cj-slowdown the left hand case is bad the o-ring is broken, there is two bolt holes that hold the primary to transmission alinment that are stripped so i did what was best i brought a left hand case (a 1981 case) and my man is working it to fit the original right hand case. you know decking and shaving it to be correct in alinment with bore, tinken bearing to crank, also he is checking out the flywheel so when i get it back and run it i will have to go through a new motor breakin period, 85 mph for 8 hrs all to do it!!!!LOL

Old 02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate

Here are two photos of my bike the day i picked it up. Not bad for the monie i say.[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25604/8EB20FDAA7B14F1986B33BC86FA13202.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25604/0BFE4DD21D6E459CA28E38DBAE540ACA.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-24-2007, 02:24 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

yea cj-slowdown the left hand case is bad the o-ring is broken, there is two bolt holes that hold the primary to transmission alinment that are stripped so i did what was best i brought a left hand case (a 1981 case) and my man is working it to fit the original right hand case. you know decking and shaving it to be correct in alinment with bore, tinken bearing to crank, also he is checking out the flywheel so when i get it back and run it i will have to go through a new motor breakin period, 85 mph for 8 hrs all to do it!!!!LOL
Fxer1982

“yea cj-slowdown the left hand case is bad the o-ring is broken, there is two bolt holes that hold the primary transmission alinment that are stripped so i did what was best i brought a left hand case (a 1981 case) and my man is working it to fit the original right hand case. you know decking and shaving it to be correct in alinment with bore, tinken bearing to crank, also he is checking out the flywheel so when i get it back and run it i will have to go through a new motor breakin period, 85 mph for 8 hrs all to do it!!!!LOL”

Understand, sounds like you found a good wrench / machinist that’s half the battle : - )

I like your break in !! : - ) my break in is limited to 2500 rpm max for the first 50 miles dump the oil, go 1000 miles dump the oil, go another 1000 and dump the oil, that’s it, that’s how S&S wants it done, but my rings will be set between 50 and 1000 miles, I do it the Grant piston rings way.

Hay your right, not too bad for the money I wish you luck and keep updating your re-build.

cj

Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate

well got the motor back from the mechanic and instead of mounting the newer case he had the original case sand blasted, welded, machined, tapped, and then he assembled it. cost more but it is the original matching case too. cold front here in central new york so in a couple of days it will begetting warmer so ill get to it then,ill start on mounting the motor back into it and rebuilding that up. just finished the front controls and sand blasting the rotors so i can stop when i want to. oh yea i lowered the swing arm by cutting off the shock blocks and moved them back 3/4" that lowers it 2" in the rear. looking into welding the rear fender holes up and repoistioning them 3/4" up so the fender is also lower, ill make sure not to lower it to much so i dont scrape it on the tire. just makes it look very low and tite. ill get some photos for show. im not putting any real shine or expensive paint on it because im looking to build it as a rat bike just a very good running rat. i have a 2003 fatboy if i want to look purtie. ill be back to update with photos and more on this rebuild. see ya

Old 04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

well got the motor back from the mechanic and instead of mounting the newer case he had the original case sand blasted, welded, machined, tapped, and then he assembled it. cost more but it is the original matching case too. cold front here in central new york so in a couple of days it will begetting warmer so ill get to it then,ill start on mounting the motor back into it and rebuilding that up. just finished the front controls and sand blasting the rotors so i can stop when i want to. oh yea i lowered the swing arm by cutting off the shock blocks and moved them back 3/4" that lowers it 2" in the rear. looking into welding the rear fender holes up and repoistioning them 3/4" up so the fender is also lower, ill make sure not to lower it to much so i dont scrape it on the tire. just makes it look very low and tite. ill get some photos for show. im not putting any real shine or expensive paint on it because im looking to build it as a rat bike just a very good running rat. i have a 2003 fatboy if i want to look purtie. ill be back to update with photos and more on this rebuild. see ya

“Fxer1982”

“well got the motor back from the mechanic and instead of mounting the newer case he had the original case sand blasted, welded, machined, tapped, and then he assembled it. cost more but it is the original matching case too.”

Original are nice, it just depends on the wear, but what the hell as long as bearings fit it’s cool and nothing wrong with that !

“cold front here in central new york so in a couple of days it will be getting warmer so ill get to it then,”

yeah, all the way up the coast ! this is march weather in april

“ ill start on mounting the motor back into it and rebuilding that up. just finished the front controls and sand blasting the rotors so i can stop when i want to. oh yea i lowered the swing arm by cutting off the shock blocks and moved them back 3/4" that lowers it 2" in the rear.”

That sounds great ! and I remember looking at them rotors, I bet they came out real good ! I like the idea of move back 3/4", this was proven ? no wheel hop or anything ?

“ looking into welding the rear fender holes up and repoistioning them 3/4" up so the fender is also lower, ill make sure not to lower it to much so i dont scrape it on the tire. just makes it look very low and tite. ill get some photos for show. im not putting any real shine or expensive paint on it because im looking to build it as a rat bike just a very good running rat. i have a 2003 fatboy if i want to look purtie. ill be back to update with photos and more on this rebuild. see ya “

Sound real great Fixer and nice you have an ’03 for back up, sounds like a good project, yeah try to put up some pics !
[font="times new ro

Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate

all is well i had her running in the last few days just by dumping gas into the bowl fill hole of my mikuni 42 flatslide and running it out at different rpms, just kicking it right now, the battery i have for it is bad but allows spark. gotthe paint on the tanks and the rear fender (flat black) and installed them too. closefit between the tanks and the carb but it all fit without any problems but yet to get cables for it, ill get them after new 14" apehangers for her, then the cables for the carb , clutch and front break set up. new drilled rotors up front installed, sand blasted the rear rotor. she looks good, low, long, lean. im thinking of putting a solo bike style seat from jeirh on it with 3" or 5" springs for comfort. have a deadline of july 5th at our local watering hole bike show (THE PINE GROVE INN in HOMER NEW YORK). im looking for a posum tail so i can afix it on the rear fender and have my rat ready by then. LOL ill get photos but my camera went *hits on me and it was either bike parts or camera guess which one won out? THANKS TO ALL OF YA FOR YOUR ADVISE GIVEN i have enjoyed thisproject very much, nexta panhead.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM
1unclejojo
Cruiser

Glad to hear that someone will take the time to restore an ol' bike.Gotta admit a lil envious...wish I could find a gem like that.Guess I gotta keep lookin.
Keep up the good work..can't wait to see the finished results.