Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tapping on my roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Engine tapping on my roadglide

ok, been trying to figure out what the real issue is with the tapping of the exhaust side of the front cylinder.

The bike was running just fine then was going to work and basically dropped a cylinder..barely made it home..
I thought it was the new single fire i added but it wasnt..
I pulled out the pushrods to front lifters and the exhaust lifter had a nice crack on the top where it contacts the pushrod.
So i replaced the lifters and do the 4 turns(24 flats) it calls for for the S&S easy install push rods... but the exhaust side is tapping very loud and can even see the housing moving. I took top of cylinder off and the pushrod is extremely close to the housing. when i had revved the engine it still lacks power but was not backfiring(as it did on my way home)
I even put a new lifter in again...I put the pushrod on flat surface and rolled it and still straight. the sound of exhaust is not that bad..so not sure whats going on...did not see anything wrong with rocker arm.
This is a 98 EVO 80" engine. so any trouble shooting advice wanted..

Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I suspect your S&S instructions also refer you to your factory service manual, which you should follow faithfully. If you have a decent local indy you could call by and ask him to take a listen to your bike, to diagnose or confirm what may be wrong. Sounds don't travel well over the internet!

Last edited by grbrown; 03-26-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MyClassic09
ok, been trying to figure out what the real issue is with the tapping of the exhaust side of the front cylinder.

The bike was running just fine then was going to work and basically dropped a cylinder..barely made it home..
I thought it was the new single fire i added but it wasnt..
I pulled out the pushrods to front lifters and the exhaust lifter had a nice crack on the top where it contacts the pushrod.
So i replaced the lifters and do the 4 turns(24 flats) it calls for for the S&S easy install push rods... but the exhaust side is tapping very loud and can even see the housing moving. I took top of cylinder off and the pushrod is extremely close to the housing. when i had revved the engine it still lacks power but was not backfiring(as it did on my way home)
I even put a new lifter in again...I put the pushrod on flat surface and rolled it and still straight. the sound of exhaust is not that bad..so not sure whats going on...did not see anything wrong with rocker arm.
This is a 98 EVO 80" engine. so any trouble shooting advice wanted..
If the pushrod tube is moving, the pushrod is hitting the cover. Verify by looking for rub marks on the push rod and/or cover. That will cause some tapping.

Try re-aligning the pushrod tubes to center the pushrods. There is some give in the alignment and you can move them using your hands. Also verify that there are no old O-rings still in place (not removed) that may be causing problems.

None of this should cause lack of power, so recheck your pushrod adjustment.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 PM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes I can feel it hit and I might replace the rocker since its cheap enough to find one..
I have barely ran it so i dont really have marks showing yet.

I will look at the exhaust side of the rear cylinder to see if the pushrod is as far over as the front cylinder.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:05 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the exhaust shield covers or check the nuts on the headers