Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Road King floor board adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 Road King floor board adjustment question

Hi guys, looking at a 2002 Road King. Looking to move up from a dyna FXDX. Only problem I had was with the floorboards (and maybe the bars). I am used to the forward controls on my Dyna and kept hitting my toe on the floor boards as I was lifting my feet up. I know that I'd need to get used to the new position over time but the angle of my feet on the boards was a little uncomfortable, too flat footed. Is there an adjustment for the 2002 floorboads to change angle or maybe a little height? At 66 and some illness I've lost some range of motion.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes, there are multiple mounting holes in the frame brackets that let you raise or lower or tilt the footboards.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

If your frame is like mine, I have an 08 Road King, the front frame mounting hole is shaped like a figure 8. The front support can be moved slightly up by using the top hole or toe slightly lower by using the lower hole. The rear mount is a single hole and functions only as a pivot point. My problem was that the outer edge was too low making my foot tilt outward slightly, just enough to cause knee problems. I made a skinny shim to slide into the bottom of the foot board at the front pivot point that allows the board to pivot up if it drags the road in an aggressive turn. The shim goes between the stop and bottom side of the foot board. When you look you will see the spot I am trying to describe. I glued the shim in place with silicone sealant so it can be pried out again if things change. It prevents the foot board from lowering quite as flat as it used to be and now tilts my foot slightly inward and is much more comfortable for me. From your description I can't really tell if you are looking for more toe up or down, more forward or backward (not adjustable on my bike) or foot tilt inward or outward.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I solved the sideways tilt of my front boards in a similar way. On my older bike the mounts are bent and squashed tube, so the tip where the floor-board mounting screw goes through is like a squashed '8'. I found some small cheese-headed screws which I screwed into one of the bulges of the '8', one for each board.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Move the front Footboard mount to the upper front frame hole, this will give you a better angle.
If you need more room to the side go to www.vtwingoodies.com and get Footboard Extensions.
I did those 2 mods to my 07 Road King Custom along with an extended shift lever for my comfort.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Ventana
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

My problem is height and angle. Sounds like I'll be able to make it fit. Gotta ride it for a while before making changes.

oh, and here's a picture of my "new to me 2002 Road King". Only 2800 miles. Long story short getting it from a club member who picked it up from (believe it or not) an undertaker who took it in on trade for services from the original owner. Sat in his garage for the last 8 years and rode it up and down the street now and then just to keep the fluids moving. Rest of the time he had it off the ground on a lift. Only problem with the bike was rotted tires, which have since been replaced. Clean, shinny, no dents or scratches

anywhere.

Last edited by Ventana; 03-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.