Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic sounding Bang when starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Metallic sounding Bang when starting

Few months ago, I got a 2001 FLSTC with Big bore kit and lots of upgraded parts, oil pump, cams etc. Changed exhausts, windshield a few other things and now beginning to ride the bike and check everything out since the weather is warmer.

I've noticed that sometimes when just hitting the start button, the bike begins to turn over then there is a pretty solid bang, metallic sounding on left side, followed by a delay and then the bike will start. Happens more on a cold engine.

After doing some searches, I'm thinking this may be the compensator?? Not familiar with the earlier compensator issues. I have had the comp replaced on my 2010 with the latest SE comp under ESP. Is this something I can check or fix myself?

How do I go about checking and or correcting the issue? Any other potential issues I should be looking for? Other than that, the bike seems to run and perform very well.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your comp. nut is likely loose. Don't try to tighten it, for nine bux, just buy a new one. Clean the threads on the output shaft real good with brake-cleaner, then red-locktite the new nut on. Very tight. Don't have my manual, but I think it's 260 lb. ft.

Make sure there's no groove in cut on your alternator-rotor. If there is, you'll need to replace that too...

Old 04-02-2015, 04:23 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm interested if this fixed this or not. Mine was doing the same thing but seems to have subsided when a replaced the battery.(2000 fat boy).

Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by the blob
I'm interested if this fixed this or not. Mine was doing the same thing but seems to have subsided when a replaced the battery.(2000 fat boy).
Haven't checked yet but should have time this week. I'll post back. I thought about replacing the battery but it hasn't shown any other signs of going out.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Easy start cams,? they click on startup and shut down.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:18 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks "just Dennis" I look forward to your post.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly? It's really hard to tell from here. It could any one of 5 or 6 things. To me, the one thing a loud metal bang isn't, is good. If you have the skills and tools, tear it down. If not find a good Indy.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by the blob
Thanks "just Dennis" I look forward to your post.
Not a loose Comp Nut. Removed the primary cover and checked everything. All tight and everything looks like new. Tested the battery with a tester and it checks out OK but I'm wondering if it is weak. Motor has big bore kit so I'm wondering if maybe it is kickback on cold start. Normally see that when hot...

Now to top it off, it hasn't done it lately.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cdonis
Easy start cams,? they click on startup and shut down.
No, running Andrews 37G Gear driven cams

Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through this dilemma a few years back. At this point with the symptoms you describe, it's the compensator kickng back. However, you don't know which. I think it could be either weak battery or compensator, and there's not really a good check to see which it is, and here's why. When the battery's weak, it turns over slowly and the compensator kicks back, like it's designed to do. If the compensator is loose, it'll kick back more often than usual on starting.

Now, I'm a math guy. What's the chances of a compensator coming loose at 200+ ft/lbs torque? What are the chances of the battery being worn out? How old is the battery? When's the last time the compensator was taken out with that engine work being done? Weigh your options and make a first choice. Worst case scenario is you spend twice as much and fix something that's not broken.

Money wise, a new battery at HD is about $100. Autozone, $50. Compensator is a $10 bolt, then $20 of fluid and a $20 gasket. So, either way it's not a big expense. Doing both because you picked the wrong one, eh...

Quick Reply: Metallic sounding Bang when starting