Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' Fatboy major oil system issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM
dm.logan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 01' Fatboy major oil system issues

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while!!! So I did something real dumb and now I'm paying dearly for it..... A couple weeks ago my filler cap popped out of my oil tank some where between work and home.. Spilled damn oil I'll over side of bike and my pants because I'm in Japan I don't have access to parts. ( dealership charges 320.00 for a battery if that tells you anything). Anyways I plugged up the tank with a rolled up ace wrap. It worked for a while but then I got sick of it so I decided it would be a great idea to get a rubber plug ( like one for a shower) I got on and it fit. It was going to be perfect but in my ocd moment of trying to get it flush BOOM caught some oil and slid right into the tank..... Fml. So I ride home as slow as I could let the oil cool and tried to get it out..... No dice... So now I get the unfortunate pleasure of removing the oil tank. Those stupid plastic clips damn near disinigrated upon touch. Takes hole are all rusted out and nasty. So now I have an idea to get a new oil tank. A few questions on that. I would like to change from the hard lines to some nice braided with some black chrome fittings. I see all these tanks but I don't know if they have threaded fittings for me to do it. Do I have to weld em in? Are after markets ones usually threaded to accept fittings so I can attach a hose to them? Also top fill vs side? What are these tanks with oil filter inside them?! Is there a way to completely eliminate the need for those plastic atrocities of engineering? Also, why the hell is my filler cap popping off?!?!?! I'm guessing it has something the do with the breather or the fact that I now know the previous owner never changed the oil.... It was nasty!!!! Ok I'm rambling on now. Thanks in advance for the insight!

Old 11-07-2015, 07:00 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

good luck

Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 PM
smokyheritage
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry your having problems my friend. I think I would try to stay with the stock system to try and keep it simple. I think I'd check a salvage place or two and probably Ebay for some good used stuff especially if parts are high where you are.

Those chrome covers will usually just slide back on the line, then you can just pull the line out of the plastic holder. Sounds like you may have an oil passage way stopped up somewhere for it to be blowing the cap off like that. I'd do some checking on that. Maybe check the lines you take off for obstructions by running a small wire through them or blowing through them for starters. Maybe someone else will chime in on what to do on that.

Taking the oil tank off is kind of a pita. I got into that when removing my starter. Just be patient, you'll get it. You'll for sure have to get a new 3" long piece of 1/2" rubber oil line where it comes out the bottom of the tank. 3/4" pex clamps from Home Depot will work for securing it back on and they look just like oem to. Good Luck

Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 AM
dm.logan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyheritage
Sorry your having problems my friend. I think I would try to stay with the stock system to try and keep it simple. I think I'd check a salvage place or two and probably Ebay for some good used stuff especially if parts are high where you are.

Those chrome covers will usually just slide back on the line, then you can just pull the line out of the plastic holder. Sounds like you may have an oil passage way stopped up somewhere for it to be blowing the cap off like that. I'd do some checking on that. Maybe check the lines you take off for obstructions by running a small wire through them or blowing through them for starters. Maybe someone else will chime in on what to do on that.

Taking the oil tank off is kind of a pita. I got into that when removing my starter. Just be patient, you'll get it. You'll for sure have to get a new 3" long piece of 1/2" rubber oil line where it comes out the bottom of the tank. 3/4" pex clamps from Home Depot will work for securing it back on and they look just like oem to. Good Luck
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking at these plastic bag hints and it doesn't look like they serve any other purpose than to hold the lines in the tank.... No O rings are anything on any of them. Wondering if ordering the ones on Jp is the right thing to do...... Ugh can't wait to get back to the states