Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike loses power

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike loses power

When I hit bump thebike temporarily loses power, like I rolled off the throttle and maybe pulled in the clutch for about a second. Doesn't cut out completely, engine rpms drop and no power. Most often happens at hwy speeds and especially two-up. Passing on a two-lane highway, hitting a bump in the left lane, and waiting for power to come back is a real treat.

Since the problem is not that easy recreate with one rider, I'm looking for suggestions before I take the bike in to the dealer and they try to recreate it. Bike (07 Heritage) has 3300 miles on it and has been doing it for the last 300 miles or so.

Anyone experience something like this or any ideas appreciated.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike loses power

Pull the seat and check ALL the electrical connections, might be ECM connection loose.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 AM
FXST
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Navychief

Pull the seat and check ALL the electrical connections, might be ECM connection loose.
or a battery terminal...

Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FXST

ORIGINAL: Navychief

or a battery terminal...
Thanks for the responses--my first thought as well--everything under the seat appears to be snug and battery terminals don't appear to be able to touch anything they shouldn't (07 softail recall for this was done).

Also tried (with the seat off)idling thebikewhile jiggling thewiresand bouncing the bike a little to simulate a bump, but can't make it happen.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:01 PM
blk n wht hog
Cruiser

I wouldn't doubt Navychief nor FXST not one bit, but an 07 @ only 3300 miles.................I'd take it right back to the dealership so they wouldn't be so quick to blame YOU in the event that something very major happened.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

Update on this: I bought the spanner wrench and adjusted my shocks tothe "heaviest" settingminus 1/2 turn. Riding two up on the same road now--no problems at all. And noticeably better ride.

The question is, did I fix the problem or just cover it up. Couldbottoming out cause something in the powertrain to pause? Or maybe bottoming out caused the PCIII connector, which is mounted just forwardof the back wheel, to be stressed momentarily. Wish I knew.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 AM
Boot
Advanced

I have flstc 07 I don't like to comment if I'm not sure however I've experienced the same. I also sense the Power commander could be the problem and I'm sniffing out thatinfo. However I have noticed a huge difference since I changed fuel. I'm in Australia and we are dominated by Caltex and BP here. I was running premium unleaded 98 octane out of Caltex since new buteveryone is telling me to get onto BP Ulitimate. So try to find out who's got a clean fuel with a high burn and go up on the octane and see how it goes. I'm a HOGmember andthey're all using98.
So in a nutshell try a better fuel see how it goes.
On another note I'm trying to find out if the after market HD teardrop chrome toolbox fits the left side WITH saddlebags. I've read the HD parts bookit states only right side for heritage with additional extensions to pegs and a saddlebag relocation kit.
Would like to know if anyone has fitted the left with the bags. Heritage top bike!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 AM
tbenson
Cruiser

My Mustang had a bad cell in the battery and when I made a turn the same thing happened. Maybe not the fix for you but worth checking into. I thought it was a long shot but I checked this before tearing into the electrical maze. I made the battery warranty by one week so it was a free fix too!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM
tchaffin
Advanced

I had this issue on a Sportster I previously owned. Turned out to be a loose ground to the battery. Took the dealer two or three visits to find it.

-T

Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
nomaster
Advanced

My 07 night train did this after I installed a PCIII. It drove me nuts for about a week. Finally found it was the belt rubbing on the harness when the bike hit bumps. I installed the PCIII incorrectly thinking that the higher it was in the bike the less chance of it getting wet. Unfortunately the belt chewed through the wiring and I ended up having to get a new PCIII.