Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyna swingarm and shocks for my softail

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default dyna swingarm and shocks for my softail

Who makes a swing arm that would fit. or a kit.
I doupt the stock dynas will fit but does anyone know different
Ive been thinking about this for almost 3 years now. I saw in the new v-twin that OCC has a production bike with the swing arm i need but i cant find were to buy it even went to their site but dont show anything on it or if its for sale. I just want a swingarm because the shocks are a dime a dozen should be an easy change out if i can find out what i need for the pivot. might even make it a fun ride and just something else so people can shake there head at my bike and ask why or how

thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: dyna swingarm and shocks for my softail

I doubt that anyone makes a "kit" for that kind of thing. The pivot point on a Softail is some 4 to 6 inches higher than the Dynas and even if you made an"L" shaped swing arm that would look like a Dynas. The geometery of its arc would make keeping a belt at a continuous tension levelthroughout its arc virtually impossible.
A simpler, safer, and better, if not cheaper way would be to get an aftermarket frame from someone like Daytec that's made to look "like " a dyna, but with the mountings for a Softail engine/tranny combination. That would allow you to usenearly all of the parts off your bike.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 AM
dognut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,Haven't gone out yet to look at my softail, but being a retired fabricator/welder, why couldn't you use the original softail rear section as a swingarm. Mount new shocks outboard like the dana you'll have to fab up some brackets and remove the stock shocks from under the bike.Still on my first cup of coffee.Just a thought.Good luck, tom south florida.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

It would take a transmission change and a lot of other things to make this happen. On the Dyna, the pivot on the swingarm goes through a bracket on the transmission. On the Softail, the transmission is hard mounted to the frame. I don't know why anyone would want to do it anyway. Just get a Dyna.

Bill

Old 01-11-2008, 07:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: dognut
Hello,Haven't gone out yet to look at my softail, but being a retired fabricator/welder, why couldn't you use the original softail rear section as a swingarm. Mount new shocks outboard like the dana you'll have to fab up some brackets and remove the stock shocks from under the bike.Still on my first cup of coffee.Just a thought.Good luck, tom south florida.
That would work, but you would need to do some "engineering" to fabricate and weld in something a bit (read a whole lot) stronger than aSoftail's fender struts to mount the upper end of the shocks to.
Thefender strut on a Softail is not a real structural piece, being more like heavy duty trimand wouldnever survivethe kind of loading that a swing arm shock/spring would put on it.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: dognut

accually thats kinda what i am thinking using the swingarm pivot but weldeing that strait dyna swingarm to the pivot and cut the rest of the softail section out

Old 09-12-2021, 06:42 AM
Powerplantguy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirty birds FL swingarm

Old 09-14-2021, 12:16 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Thought about Dyna shocks for my Heritage
They were on a Switchback . . . Ba ha ha !!!

Actually, I REALLY liked that bike. It was the red.
That 103/6 Sp combo in that lighter package. Awesome

I just couldn't hang with the vibes @ 65-75 mph