Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Handlebars and cables

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Handlebars and cables

Hey,

Wanted to know how difficult swapping handlebars, risers, and cables are. I boughtsome new bars, with internally wired chrome controls, as well as some new risers to fit, and braided cables. If it's not too hard I'd consider doing it myself, but if it's gonna turn into a show, I'd rather take it in to get worked on. I'm really just looking to know what all is involved in tackling this. Thanks for any info.

Brad

Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installing Handlebars and cables

1. You are sure the cables and lines are the correct length?

2. Have you ever done any wiring, brake bleeding or general wrench turning?

The whole deal is pretty easy so long as you have some sort of mechanical ability. I honestly think bleeding the front brake is the biggest hassle of anything.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer

I bought the bars, controls and cables as a package deal, so they are the correct length.
I've done wiring, brake bleeding, and general stuff on cars, helicopters. Just not on bikes. I know they're not that difficult. I was more looking for what all I would have to take off. Tank, exhaust etc. I have an 07 Fatboy. I know the tank is gonna have to come off, or atleast back enough to get to the wiring. Just not sure what else. I don't have a manual yet, gotta pic one up.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

It's not that difficult, but it can be time consuming. I did the same thing on my last bike. If you choose to run the wires to the connectors and and replace the wiring pin for pin it will take a while. If you cut the wire looms at the neck and solder/heatshrink it will take less than half the time. The wires are color coded and should match right up, so it is pretty idiot proof. If you do it this way, just make sure to stagger the splices so you don't get a huge bulge if splices in one place. You will also have to remove the tranny side cover to swap the clutch cable. You will need a fairly sturdy set of spreading snap-ring pliers and something to drain the fluid in that you will lose when you remove the cover. The throtte/idle cables are pretty easy. I've put the pre-wired 16" apes on my buddy's Softail and on my Superglide and they rock.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
third_left_eye
Tourer

Thanks for the info, how difficult are the pins to remove?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
springerscott
Cruiser

removing the pins is easy, just take your time and diagram the harness and wire colors. There should be an orange water seal in the connector, remove, and a plastic collar that holds the pins strait, then on the other side of the connector, little release tabs to push away from the wire to release the pin from the connector. Just take your time. If your running your wires through the bars, I found that first run a thin wire through the bar to then grab the wires, use a little electrical tape to keep things together and no snags, then coat with some dish soap, and carefully pull. I also used weed trimmer line instead of wire to pull the wires through. Sounds like you have plenty of experience. I am new to working on my bike. Done lots with cars and 4X4s.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Pat C
Cruiser

I just changed my handlebars on my 07 Fatboy, it's not that difficult just time consuming. I suggest you get service manual. I used a paper clip to remove pins you haveto release the secondary lock using a needle nose pliers you pull up on it about 3/16" then you stick the paper clip in the small hole next to terminal and it should release. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/45014/10B19CD489D946F68406078A4A15E28D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Like said above, not too difficult, just time consuming!! If your in the Northeast like me, and the weather sucks and you can't ride anyway...you can get it done in a weekend. I would suggest you definitely get the service manual before starting this project!! It will save alot of frustration!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna pick up a service manual soon. The bars are already wired and the controls are installed. All I have to do is put the pins in the connector. Shouldn't be too hard I suppose. I do have a few weeks yet until it's riding weather, so I have some time to play around with it. Thanks again.

Brad