Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bars & wiring/cables?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bars & wiring/cables?

Help please. I just bought a set of 1200L bars for my 06 1200C.The dealer said that I would not need any replacement cables etc. Wrong.... The throttle,idle and clutch cable are a hair too short. Brake line is way too short. I can fix that by spending more money. My big issue is the wiring. Dealer tells me that there is enough extra wiring stuffed down behind the riser and to gently pull it through. I got maybe an inch more wiring, and after almost getting the left grip and clutch remounted the available wiring loom is stretched taut from the housing with none available to follow the contours of the new bars,and clip into place. Does this mean a rewire job? Electrics aint my thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New bars & wiring/cables?

First of all, try re-routing the thottle/idle cables outside the forks which will loosen up the reach (that's what I did till I got longer ones since switching to apes and taller riser, of course I've been running with them like that for a year). Flipping the clutch cable behind the bars may also get you some reach. The brake line can be removed from its fastener on the trees then bent slighty to gain a little room for the time being. Basically you can get by with these mods till you can buy some new cables (I know its costly getting all new cables, about $250 for all new braided and about $150 or lessfor vinyl).
Now all that you're left with is extending the wiring harnes. The older bikes and some of the Low models use to have about 6-8" of wiring stashed in the riser or under the tank but like you my 06 1200C had zero extra. You can do like I did and solder on extensions or just look up the wire extension kits sold throuhg ebay, JP Cycles, or Dennis Kirk (you can also get them direct from Novello). The kits range in price from $30 or moreand come in many lengths and are a simple color coded pin/socket connector add in to the factory. harness. Soldering extensions is the cheap rout but far from easy since its time consumming (there are like 12 wires in the harness). If I did it over again I would buy an extension kit.
By the way, having a service manual helps when doing this swap as there are things to look out for like putting a shim in the brake lever when removing it and the switch housings otherwise you'll snap the tiny brake sensor switch...just a little FYI. Also details your wiring harness and color codingand how to disonnect it from the connectors if need be.

Good luck....

Old 12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Capt'n. I have the Service Manual and have already had the bars off this morning in an attempt to fit the new ones. Fitting new cables does not scare me, just wanted to avoid new brake line,bleeding and all that. It,s the electics that gives me the jitters. Stupid question. Where do you connect the extensions from/to? Is it a matter of unplugging from somewhere, adding the new length of harness and plugging back in, or something more sinister than that? I appreciate the advice Man.

Bob

Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I recall the extensions go between the wires and the main deutsch (spelling?) under the tank vs at the switch housing end. The kits have pins on one end and sockects on the other so its simple as putting extension cords together, just heat shrink tude the connections and your done. Here's a link to the ones by Novello http://www.designsbynovello.net/Deta...1&categorybut you can find them on ebay as well and all are color coded to factory harness. When I soldered mine in I just snipped the cables down near the connector then soldered them in but the pins can be removed easily from the connector with a stick pin depressing the release tab. The manual details how its done using a so-called "special tool" but I've done mine with long stick pin. In fact you dont have to remove your tank to access the connectors and wiring (providing there is not a full tank of fuel), just unbolt the front of the tank, loosen the back bolt and tilt it up slightly and let it rest on a block of woods or rolled up towel betwwen the rocker boxes and tank bottom. Then you can reach the connectors to unplug the left/right wiring harness.
If youdont want to wait and order a wire kit or solder in your extensions, just run out to Lowes or hardware store and pick up 18 gauge wire, butt connectors, crimp tool and heat shrink tubing (should run you about $20 for all of it) and this would make a nice DIY project if your off for the holidays.I did mine last winter in an afternoon and have had no problems, and that included hiding the wires inside the bars for a clean appearance (my apes were already pre-drilled for internal wires though).

If you're carefull bending the rigid l-shaped brakeline (which will gain you 2" or moreyou can get by for a while till you get a new line. This can be done without removing the line or bleeding. I ran with mine bent for a couple months then replaced it with a Russel SS braided line and fittinglaterfor less than $40.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

Thanks again Capt'n, I already found the Novello kit at J&P. $46 and change. I am going to give it a shot. It'll keep me out of the kitchen over the holidays.

Bob