Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce hard bags - questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deuce hard bags - questions

I've currently got the HD leather saddlebags for my Deuce, and use the Easy brackets (or Ghost brackets; I can't remember which - I think maybe the Ghost brackets).

Anyways, obviously, they're not waterproof, and the storage capacity is pretty lousy.

What can anyone tell me about the hard bags?

1) Storage versus leather bags
2) Weight versus leather bags
3) could I adapt hard bags to still use the Ghost bracket setup?

Opinions? Ideas?

Thank-you.

Cannon

Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Deuce hard bags - questions

The tailor made Deuce bags are nice in that they flow with the curves of the bike. However, they likely don't offer any greater room than you have now. Especially the left side bag. Each bag has a rigid back to bolt up to the brackets. But the left side bag has a cut out that I assume is a pessimistic protection against the sprocket hitting the bag if the suspension bottoms. It provides great clearance from the sprocket but at the expensive of storage capacity since the cutout equates to lost sq in's inside the bag.

Took a trip with the wife recently. I had most of our clothes and she was responsible for packing most of the road stuff. In the left side bag we were able to get: 2 sets of rain gear, a tool kit, syphon hose, small MC jumper cables, some fuel additive, a couple light pairs of gloves and a couple extra pairs of goggles. That pretty much maxed it out. On the right side we had a little more room. That side was the quick access side so it had small stuff but wasn't maxed out.

By the book it says the Deuce bags (1000 cu in) have 200 cu in less than the Softail detachable leather bags (1200 cu in). That sounds about right, the cut out measures roughly 1.5 x 10 x 14.

So I guess this is to say I think the Deuce bags are great for a weekender but anything more than that will require extra luggage. So unless you want the Deuce bags for looks I would guess there isn't significant beneft in changing from what you have now.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts

Except that for 200 ci of space you spend twice the amount and they have to be color matched to your bike. Stick with the leather and if you need more room, buy one of the round bags that attaches to the sissy bar.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.

Thank-you to the respondents for the info & advice. I'm going to keep what I've got. I indeed have a Kuryakyn hard roll-type bag for the luggage rack, which works quite well. I ended up modifying the mounting plate for my Givi trunk to work on the luggage rack as well, so I have all the space I need. I have two back rests, so I can keep the one in touring configuration, without having to unbolt a ton of stuff. I can just swap it out with my regular one for the long trips.

Cannon

Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the hard bags on my Deuce for several years. When I purchased my tangerine numbered paint set, I switched to 100th anniversary HD bags. I like the leather look and the difference in storage capacity is not memorable. I have a couple of SACs that work well and hold a lot of gear for overnight.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Jonny Cannon
I've currently got the HD leather saddlebags for my Deuce, and use the Easy brackets (or Ghost brackets; I can't remember which - I think maybe the Ghost brackets).
Cannon
What is your experience with Ghost or Eazy brackets? Which do you have? Thinking of doing the same.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 AM
blueduece
Road Captain

I am buying one of these.......

http://www.bikersfriend.com/index.html

Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

ORIGINAL: blueduece

I am buying one of these.......

http://www.bikersfriend.com/index.html
Looks good but how you gonna put it on your AIH Slammer now you sold da Deuce?