Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving fuel tank back

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving fuel tank back

I have to replace my front fender due to a stupid attack on my 06 Heritage Classic. I spoke to a tech atthe dealership and he said that the fender tip light would have to be unplugged from under the fuel tank which requires the tank to be slid back to expose the area it is plugged into. My question is: is there enough slack in the fuel lines so that the tank canbe slid back far enough to do this without disconnecting them? It looks like there is enough slack but not really sure how far the tank needs to move. I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this. Thanks for any help the experts can provide.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Moving fuel tank back

maybe i'm missing something here, but cant the light socketbe unplugged from the fender light? leave the wires hanging while changing the fender.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Have not been there yet but I have read that the connector at the light is too large to fit back into the grommit that is in the fenderbut the connector under the tank will. Just ordered the fender yesterday and it won't be in for probably 6 weeks and was educating myself in the meantime. I really don't want to splice wires. I don't know this to be true forsure but I did read inanother post that said the connector at the light is too big to fit. Thanks for your fast answer.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tank should be able to be moved back a few inches..to expose them connectors
without the hassle of removing the tank, just make sure ur tank isnt too full.. they are heavy suckers lol

Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your bike is fuel injected try pulling the fuse for the pump then starting the bike up. It will not run for long, if at all. But you want to have the pressure in the line to drop off. Once it won't start its a simple thing to disconnect the fuel line by pushing up on the line and then lifting up on the ring at the tank. Once you have it lifted the line will pull right out like a compressed air line. If you need to move the tank even farther back take the nut off the dash and lift it up and put it on a towel or something. That should let you move the tank back at least 3 or 4 inches. with the seat off. The crossover line is all that will be in the way. But if the tank has any gas at all in it, I don't recomend pulling it off. It gets gas all over everything unless your VERY, VERYfast plugging the lines up.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks like I will have to disconnect the line but sounds like an easy thing to do. Thanks for your reply Citoriplus.