Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightrain EFI...Fuel Puking

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
rockyyy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightrain EFI...Fuel Puking

Gas'ed up my 2003 efi nightrain today when I came back after paying for my gas I noticed fuel coming out from under my dash, I got the bike home (fuel still coming out from under dash) even when the bike was shut off. I took the dash off and the fuel seemed to be coming from the gasket on the EFI hole.

I am ordering a manual tomorrow but this is the first EFI bike I've had...is this spot in the EFI hole under this gasket a reservoir for the injectors??? I am assuming so because of the gasket and nearly a dozen screw or do you feel I have a more serious problem. Any help advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Nightrain EFI...Fuel Puking

Hi Rockyyy,

No that is not a resevoir for the injectors, they are down below the tank. If it is coming from under the dash I would say the gasket has come out, should be a pretty easy fix, but I bet that was a mess. A manual will tell you volumes about removing the dash and replacing the gasket.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
rockyyy
6th Gear

Thanks, I did a bit oflooking around the net...under that cover is the gas and yes it looks like an easy fix to swap out the gasket. From what I've read removing the pump assembly from the tank isnt so easy but I should be able to sneak a new gasket in from above (I hope)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, if you cranked up and rode home like that you got more ***** than me. I think I might have tried to call somebody with a trailer, or a fire extinguisher.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Just for grins check the overflow tube at the front of the tank. Make sure its not clogged up and letting pressure build up in the tank. That may be the reason the gasket blew out on you.
Also when you replace the gasket the screws are 'supposed' to be one time use and should be replaced as well. I'm just not sure if you have to get them separately or they come with the gasket.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No need to remove the fuel pump to replace the gasket and screws.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:59 AM
MoMud
Advanced

The screws are seperate from the gasket and aren't cheap in my opinion at $1.95 a piece.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

+1 to Dixie Dreg, I wouldn't have rode that sucker while it was barfin' gas, ya tryin' to be the next Ghost Rider???

Da Bone

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM
rockyyy
6th Gear

Yeah I had second thoughts starting the bike but I just said to myself if Nicolas Cage can do it...so can I (LOL). I did check the overflow tube and it was all connected properly. After removing the dash I could see where the gas was sneaking out of the corner of the gasket. I will be replacing the gas cap with a new one this week and the gasket.

I dinged the top of my gas cap this winter playing with handlebars and I may have inadvertently screwed up the venting...so it may have been the start of my problems.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably just need to retorque the screws on the gas tank cover. Sample principle as a valve cover, head gasket, wheel, etc.

If you don't follow a pattern to torque those screws down, you will probably have the same problem with a new gasket.

DougJ

Quick Reply: Nightrain EFI...Fuel Puking