Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic ? on 03' softail Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Basic ? on 03' softail Heritage

Hey ya'll so dad is making me put in some wrench time on his bike this weekend... He has an 2003 aniv softail Heritage classic, i detailed it last night and tossed in some new oil... i just did not see the trans and primary drain anywhere??? any advice on that (where the hell are they located under there?) granted i was up on the lift and i did not look way to hard (didnt have the fluids) I also wanted to get an idea of what you guys recomend for the fluids on this bike? On my bob i throw in mobile 1 in all holes but the trans on that I use HD+, same for his softail? WHile i have it up I polised out his rotors and tossed a batter tender on it (prewired) anything else you would recomend? this bike is a DOG man... dont understand it... granted all we have done is pulled the baffels and rejet it... lost some low torque from that alone but man... Any help on the drain locations, what type of trans& primary fluid recomendations, and other odds and end jobs to do while it is up would be great!... thanks ya'll!
* forgot to ask... i know on mine it gets 2 3/4 quatrsin the motor .95 quart in the trans and .95 quart in the primary... is his bike the same?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Basic ? on 03' softail Heritage

Thetrans and primary drain Plug is under Bike Mid Way its Up High,

You Will Need An Extendchen To Reach It the Drain Pulg ,It On Page 131 on the owners manual it takes approximat 24 oz.

the primary chaincase in on 135 you will need the new gasket and only fill with bike upright to the bottem on the clutch pack so it just touchs the clutch pack, approximat 26 oz.

eng oil with filter is on page 125 takes 3.5 qts
I Use Harley Synthetic in all 3 places

Have Fun
Harley03joe

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

Hey ya'll so dad is making me put in some wrench time on his bike this weekend... He has an 2003 aniv softail Heritage classic, i detailed it last night and tossed in some new oil... i just did not see the trans and primary drain anywhere??? any advice on that (where the hell are they located under there?) granted i was up on the lift and i did not look way to hard (didnt have the fluids) I also wanted to get an idea of what you guys recomend for the fluids on this bike? On my bob i throw in mobile 1 in all holes but the trans on that I use HD+, same for his softail? WHile i have it up I polised out his rotors and tossed a batter tender on it (prewired) anything else you would recomend? this bike is a DOG man... dont understand it... granted all we have done is pulled the baffels and rejet it... lost some low torque from that alone but man... Any help on the drain locations, what type of trans& primary fluid recomendations, and other odds and end jobs to do while it is up would be great!... thanks ya'll!
* forgot to ask... i know on mine it gets 2 3/4 quatrsin the motor .95 quart in the trans and .95 quart in the primary... is his bike the same?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 PM
BGHFD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Basic ? on 03' softail Heritage

Trans drain plug is between rear shocks (5/8" socket or 1/4" allen). The primary drain is directly under the clutch cover and is a T40 torx that looks like a big set screw with a magnet on the end (no o-ring). The direction is to screw it back in so that 0.16" to 0.18" of the screw is protruding.
If you use properly rated oil, change it regularly, and don't have any issues, it is hard to find "bad" oil. I like synthetic due to the higher heat in our air cooled engines. I have an 03 Heritage and have run Syn3 since new with no problems. I just switched over to red line to see what it would do with specific oils for each hole. I was going to go to HD+ in the primary as I felt a little clutch slipping and hearing the Syn3 in the primary is not good. That being said, I think it is good to stay consistent with fluids. If you're going to be maintaining the bike, I would either match the fluids to your bike, or go Syn3 and HD+ to make it easy.

Just curious, why are you running HD+ in your trans?

I hope my boys grow up to want to maintain and detail my bike when they grow up! That would leave so much more time to ride. Good on you.