Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary compensator bolt backing out

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
BillyJoeBob
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Primary compensator bolt backing out

This is the DAMN noise I've carried my 07 883 in to be repaired twice. Both times they tell me that those little 883s are noisey and what your hearing is normal. First time they said the primary chain needed adjusting (BS) I had just checked it. A week later, they said the compensator nut was just a little loose. Then told me again that "those little 883s are noisey, you need to get use to that". This noise just started about 4500 miles. Hell yes, I have been know to engine brake it when coming to a stop. I love that little bike, but I should not be hearing a loud rattle while riding over the Rush Slipons I have on it. SO........ what the hell can be done with&nbsp\\;this???
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for letting me bitch.
&nbsp\\;
Billy

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Raven02
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Compensator Nut

I am just this week having that same trouble on an S&S Engine which is basically an Evo. A very savy bike dude, looked at my Compensator Nut that I torqued 15 miles ago and it was hand tight. He saw the trouble right away. --The compensator nut was missing the 1/4 in. thick washer. That prevents the nut from hitting the bottom of the threads, and preventing the nut from going in all the way. So if you're missing this washer, there won't be any torque applied to the compensator or the "BEARINGS" !! More than likely your going to need new bearings and maybe more. I only drove mine about 20 miles and it wasn't making any noise. I pulled the compensator sprocket and rotor off because I was getting engine oil in my primary, and found no oil seal. Probably a blessing in disguise, because I could see my bearings. and I could wiggle the bearing race. So tomorrow I'm having a pro put in new bearings at a cost of $2000. If the spacer washer is missing. Take off the compensator nut and look in hole with light and you will see where it was hitting the bottom of the threads preventing it from holding everything tight..... GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven02
I am just this week having that same trouble on an S&S Engine which is basically an Evo. A very savy bike dude, looked at my Compensator Nut that I torqued 15 miles ago and it was hand tight. He saw the trouble right away. --The compensator nut was missing the 1/4 in. thick washer. That prevents the nut from hitting the bottom of the threads, and preventing the nut from going in all the way. So if you're missing this washer, there won't be any torque applied to the compensator or the "BEARINGS" !! More than likely your going to need new bearings and maybe more. I only drove mine about 20 miles and it wasn't making any noise. I pulled the compensator sprocket and rotor off because I was getting engine oil in my primary, and found no oil seal. Probably a blessing in disguise, because I could see my bearings. and I could wiggle the bearing race. So tomorrow I'm having a pro put in new bearings at a cost of $2000. If the spacer washer is missing. Take off the compensator nut and look in hole with light and you will see where it was hitting the bottom of the threads preventing it from holding everything tight..... GOOD LUCK!!
I hope your repair goes well.

As far as the OP's friend is concerned, I'm sure he's got it squared away by now since it was seven years ago.