Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged key...wierd

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Damaged key...wierd

Don\\;t know if anyone else had this problem. But, parked my bike at work, and went to put my key in to lock the ignition. The key wouldn't go in ignition. thought I was having a brain fart that early in the morning, thinking I had the wrong key. Farting around, and looking at the key, was slightly out-of-round. Don\\;t ask me how that happened. I guess if it's in the ignition and you don\\;t pull or insert it perfectly at the correct angle, it could damage the roundness of the key.

Not sure why a round key is necessary anyways. but thought I post it so everyone is aware that this **** could happen. thankfully, the Bike wasn\\;t in the locked position. Otherwise I'd be screwed, since my other key was an hour away in the house!!

Takes 2 weeks for HD to order up a new set for $24..

Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Damaged key...wierd

Been there done that!! After unlocking your forks, make sure you remove your key!! Once you straighten your bars it will automatically turn your nice little round key into a nice little round key with an oblong shape with a slight curvature at the end. Amazing metallurgic technology built right in on your Harley!! [sm=laughat.gif] Don't ask me how I know.........

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
ronyd
Road Master

ewwwwww, didn\\;t think about that one[:@]

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Pulchritude
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Pooh AKA Bear

Been there done that!! After unlocking your forks, make sure you remove your key!! Once you straighten your bars it will automatically turn your nice little round key into a nice little round key with an oblong shape with a slight curvature at the end. Amazing metallurgic technology built right in on your Harley!! [sm=laughat.gif] Don't ask me how I know.........
This happen to me within days of getting my '04 FLSCTI back in February. Unlocked the fork to move the bike and left the key in the fork lock. This was not a problem on my '06 XL1200C but I learned the hard way you don't do that on a Heritage. Bought the bike used and only came with one key. So I got to wait about 10 days to get a replacement set. Luckily, the weather at the time prohibited me from riding.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Pulchritude, now that must have SU$%K'd big time...

Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Pulchritude
Cruiser

Oh, I wasn't happy... AT ALL. But like I said, as it turned out, I wouldn't/couldn't have ridden anyway during the time I was waiting on my keys from HD because of the winter weather. If it would have caused me to miss some good riding weather or a trip, I would have been livid! [:@]