Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Trick

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ignition Key Trick

I didn't want to hijack a thread so I thought I'd start a new one. For those with the ignition key at the forks and don't like how the key falls out when trying to leave it in, here is a trick; it works on mine anyway. Turn the key back towards the lock position; it will stop before getting to that point if the forks are not turned, but the key will not fall out that way.

Also, when unlocking the forks, do not push the key in or it will not turn. Moving the forks some will also take some pressure off and allow it to unlock easier.

Hope this helps for some.

Joe

Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JT-FXDL......
Thanks for the info. I will try both those methods...especially NOT pushing in the key when trying to unlock it. It ALWAYS seems like I struggle to get it unlocked!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I do this with my key and it works…… strange that they would make the key fall out in the regular position though…..

Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Get a softail and you won't have to worry about that at all... LOL

Old 01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

I was told they did that to reduce the number bikes being stolen because the key's are left dangling and in plain sight. This way, when you turn it off, it pops out so you have NO CHOICE than to take it with you.
I'd rather the ignition be on the tank, like my Hubby's FLSTC......and MAIMAS, If my feet could reach the ground when I sat on a softail, I'd have bought it!!! Be happy you have long legs.......not all of us do.

I really dislike it being on the side. It's just not in a convenient spot. Having to lean way over to find it, then while bent over, keep wiggling it and the handlebars trying to unlock the forks.......or....if you stick it in, and dont have a good grip on it, out it pops and down it goes. Now you have to get off the bike, walk around the bike, pick them up, remount and try it again.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

JT-FXDL.....
Can you tell me if you the key back like you mentioned (just before the "lock" position ) does that position put any drain on the battery? My bike's in storage, so I cant tell, but is that the ACCESSORY position?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LWOS
I'd rather the ignition be on the tank, like my Hubby's FLSTC......and MAIMAS, If my feet could reach the ground when I sat on a softail, I'd have bought it!!! Be happy you have long legs.......not all of us do.
I'm not knocking you or your ride. Just having a lil fun. I had a 05 FXDCI before I had my Fatboy. I dont know why all HD's dont have a tank mount ignition. It just seems more practical.

Thats a very nice lowrider you have.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

MIAMAS......... I know you were. Believe me, I was hoping since the Softail has a low seat, I could reach the ground, but the floorboards got in the way. No way to lower it or I'd be trailing sparks..... As it is, had to lower my LOW RIDER by 2" PLUS wear 3" heeled boots to be flat footed. Yea, I know, us shrimps should probably stick to Vespa's. I'm 5'2" with a 26" inseam, short arms and small feet. Cant use my highway pegs mounted on the front lower part of my frame because even with a Reach Seat, I still cant get my feet to them. So when I talk about trying to reach to get that key in, I mean it's difficult for people as short as I am. A tank mounted ignition would be wonderful.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
JT-FXDL.....
Can you tell me if you the key back like you mentioned (just before the "lock" position ) does that position put any drain on the battery? My bike's in storage, so I cant tell, but is that the ACCESSORY position?

No, it’s just before the lock….the accessory position is on the other side. I use it the most when fueling up and don’t want to mess with putting the key in my pocket and digging it right back out.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Dang ...... that's exactly what happens. I pull into the gas station & shut the bike off, but that leaves the lights on. So I thought the only alternative was to remove the key since it wont "stay put" in the "off" position. I'm so happy to know it won't put a drain on the battery and I have another alternative. Thanks for posting!!!

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Trick